5-50 CASTROL SYNTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use this in their cars or pickups? I have used it for years in my 1989 ski boat that has a 351 Ford V/8 with no probems. I know it is far from the current 5-20 vs 5-30 debates but just wondering. Thanks in advance.

I don't use it, but it seems to be a very good oil. There are pictures all over this site (different threads) of a memeber who did 10k runs on this oil in an Audi 2.8 V-6, and the engine was spotless. There have also been a few UOA's run on it, and they looked good.

If it works well for you, I'd keep using it.....

I once used it to control burning on an old Honda Civic after it ate through a qt. of Mobil1 every 1000 miles --and turned it black. It cut down down on the burning by half and turned black in 1000 miles instead of 500 as the M1 did...

My local Walmart doesn't sell very much of this oil, in fact they've still got about 5 or 6 bottles of it that are the SJ formulation!!

I picked up 5qts of this from Walmart on closeout. Planning to run it when my oil change falls on a summer month.

That's what I fed my '88 Supra for probably over 100,000 miles, changing the filter every 2.5k and draining the pan only every 10k. When I measured the valve stems at somewhere around 180k, they were as small as allowed. I even found a quart in my garage yesterday.

Now with a rebuilt engine, I'm running Redline 5w40, which seems as stout given the oil pressure gauge reads about the same as it used to with Syntec 5w50. I'll most likely go with the Redline 5w30 next time 'round as my gas milage seemed to drop 1mpg with the 5w40.

It's hard to compare the gas milage I used to get with what I get now because of the ethanol in today's gas (grumblegrumble).

Asterix

I'm curious to find this oil's starting TBN and HTHS....I think it might be a good choice for summer use in my Legacy GT.

I picked up 7 quarts for 5 cents each at a discount store. I have 2 vehicles that use 7 quarts and will likely use it in one of those. I used it once before, probably 10 years ago and it seemed to work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back