5.4L 3v V8 Ford exhaust manifold/ gaskets 182k miles

That is the supercession tree. The 9A462 is the heatshield that should be able to be transferred over. This will not include the collector hardware which is W705374-S901 for the stud and W705443S-900 for the nut.
BDC,

Thanks! Hate to ask, can you possibly share what the left/ driver side kit part number is?

Didn't see this coming.

Found a Ford dealer selling the right hand manifold kit on Ebay. Was super happy until.... the print at the bottom said aftermarket manifold. I have not seen a Ford dealer sell aftermarket parts on Ebay before.

BDC,

Thanks! Hate to ask, can you possibly share what the left/ driver side kit part number is?
There is no kit for the driver's side 7C3Z-9431-B is hte manifold, 9L3Z-9448-A is the 2 port gasket (2 needed), W703902-S403 is the stainless stud (sold in quantities of 6), W702586-S437 is the nut (sold in quantities of 4), and W715793-S300 is the washer (sold in quantities of 4).

Reactions: GON
The fact that there is no kit for the driver's side has baffled me for as long as the kit has existed for the passenger side. I just go with it at this point.

Didn't see this coming.

Found a Ford dealer selling the right hand manifold kit on Ebay. Was super happy until.... the print at the bottom said aftermarket manifold. I have not seen a Ford dealer sell aftermarket parts on Ebay before.

That's got aftermarket written all over, Even says so in the description!!

That's got aftermarket written all over, Even says so in the description!!
Just haven't seen a Ford dealer market aftermarket spare parts on-line. Especially displaying the part with a Ford box. They have the OEM part number listed. They also list 674-694, which is the Dorman manifold part number. I am surprised a Ford dealer would on-line market a Dorman manifold with a Ford box. The dealer never mentions in the listing the manifold is a Dorman, but as you pointed out, they do list at the bottom of the listing it is an aftermarket part.

I like the kit they put together and it is definitely peaked my interest. Just have not seen anything like this before from a new car dealer.

manifold.jpg

Last edited:
For sure those are aftermarket but sometimes that is not the worst thing, I mean the OE rot and crack also. I don't do much work on trucks but have done my fill of these over the years and cracking of the manifolds seems to have a couple of reasons.
Sometimes if you test mount the manifold you may find some of studs are tight against the iron if this is the case relieving them 0.5 mm will help, the other reason is an overly large gap in the fenderwell area which allows splash water to hit the manifolds primarily on the pass side.

I found this to be the case on many I did including my my own Expedition AWD at the time. The solution was simple, use gap fillers on the inner fenderwells, this may not be applicable to the F350 but if there is large gap something like this (this is for older models) can be made to fit or just make them.

This is one of those weird things....I've got a friend who has an '07 F150 5.4 3V SCREW....had the pass side manifold replaced by a shop and it just promptly started ticking again a short while later (I have not personally observed the EXACT cause of said tick)

We own an '08 otherwise identical truck. Purchased with 89k, now at 141k, no exhaust problems (knock on, er, cast iron). We drive dirt roads daily, mag chlorided roads daily, snowy roads daily in the winter, sloppy muddy roads daily spring and fall....

Has anyone ever tried planing new manifolds before they're even installed?

Just haven't seen a Ford dealer market aftermarket spare parts on-line. Especially displaying the part with a Ford box. They have the OEM part number listed. They also list 674-694, which is the Dorman manifold part number. I am surprised a Ford dealer would on-line market a Dorman manifold with a Ford box. The dealer never mentions in the listing the manifold is a Dorman, but as you pointed out, they do list at the bottom of the listing it is an aftermarket part.

I like the kit they put together and it is definitely peaked my interest. Just have not seen anything like this before from a new car dealer.

View attachment 85073
This happened to somebody else recently....a Dorman part in a Ford box from Ford dealer. It was something for a 6.7 but I don't remember specifics

Certainly the other way around is not uncommon (order Dorman from a 3rd party and you get Ford/Motorcraft with the logos ground off) once Dorman has purchased the molds or the rights....but THIS WAY of getting a Dorman part from Ford seems just wrong!

This happened to somebody else recently....a Dorman part in a Ford box from Ford dealer. It was something for a 6.7 but I don't remember specifics

Certainly the other way around is not uncommon (order Dorman from a 3rd party and you get Ford/Motorcraft with the logos ground off) once Dorman has purchased the molds or the rights....but THIS WAY of getting a Dorman part from Ford seems just wrong!
What is fun is when I get a part from Ford and it is a used part that has been returned as new by another dealer. Or an obviously wrong part in the box. Some dealers are having the diesel fuel contamination kits come in from FedEx missing components and Ford denies the claim because the quantity on hand at the PDC is correct.

The fact that there is no kit for the driver's side has baffled me for as long as the kit has existed for the passenger side. I just go with it at this point.
The 5.4 / 6.8 blow the passenger side manifolds out a lot more due to the tiny restriction on the Y pipe where the right side exhaust flows in.

Mine blows the passenger side at about a 3:1 rate to the left side.

Our local exhaust shop does a lot of these repairs so you might call one to see if they do them where you live and they may have a source for them that they have had good luck with.

Have bought multiple Dorman products for one of my 6.4 powerstroke trucks

Dorman box Ford part numbers ground off

I might also say I looked at a set of manifolds and up pipes for the 6.4 side by side by the Ford 8C3Z stuff and as far as manifolds go don't even take the chance on them unless something has changed in the past year the Ford factory manifolds were cast 10% better visually and the hardware with the Dorman kit was junk .....

So some stuff is a Go and some stuff is a big No

Have bought multiple Dorman products for one of my 6.4 powerstroke trucks

Dorman box Ford part numbers ground off
The problem is that that's true....until it isn't.

A "ground off" part today doesn't guarantee it'll be the same in a year when the OEM parts run out.

I've experienced this personally with Focus door latches: numerous Amazon reviews spoke of "ground off" parts but I got crappy Dorman-level cost-cutting junk more reminiscent of Fisher Price toys than real auto parts

Back