5.4L 3v V8 Ford exhaust manifold/ gaskets 182k miles

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I am the original owner of a 2007 Ford F350 V8 RWD standard cab, 5.4L V8. 182k miles.

The truck keeps running, even with all the timing chain tension issues that are common on this engine (I have never had a issue with that).

The exhaust manifold gaskets appear shot. This F350 sounds like my Granpa's 1940s era tractor.

This truck has lived all over the USA. Northeast, Rockies, Southwest, Midwest, and it is now in the Southeast. It is somewhat tired and has some rust underneath. I just drove this truck from Denver, CO to Columbia, SC and zero issues. Ran the truck at the posted speed limit, typically 75 MPH.

Two questions (1) The passenger side exhaust manifold (Ford part 3L3Z9430DA) is discontinued. Is there a acceptable alternative or should the original passenger side manifold me machined?

(2) I don't want to do this job as I think the exhaust manifold studs are corroded and I don't have access to a welder- and the last time I welded was in high school shop in 1980. How do I locate a shop that really knows how to do this type of replacement?

Last edited:
Exhaust manifold replacement isn't complicated, it's just a pain because it's almost guaranteed that every single one of those bolts will snap off in the cylinder head. Any shop around you with decent reviews should be able to do it, I'd call around to a few of them and see what they say.

ATP has them, not bad quality. The studs are not that bad, I usually blow the nuts away with a smoke wrench so only a stubby sticks out once the manifold is removed.
Heating the head with a small smoke wrench tip for a short time around the stud(s) one at a time then using a little penetrating oil on them makes them fairly easy to remove with locking pliers.
The aluminum expands much more and faster than the steel and loosens them, breaking them off and using a jig to drill them is a PITA. Make sure to use stainless studs and copper nuts.

I would see if you can find used manifolds or see if a machine shop can makes sure they are flat. Dorman and ATP make horrible Ford intake manifolds. Not sure what their manifolds would be like. I would also assume its going to be not a fun job. Those bolts will be rusted in.

9L3Z-9K494-A is the current number. It is a kit that includes the stainless steel hardware and gaskets. It does not include the collector hardware.

They made millions of these trucks and many had manifold failures. You should be able to find a shop that has done many of them. Crazy that OEM isn’t available. Have the shop buy and install it if you want a warranty.

They made millions of these trucks and many had manifold failures. You should be able to find a shop that has done many of them. Crazy that OEM isn’t available. Have the shop buy and install it if you want a warranty.

I was able to get OEM for my 2001 F-350.

But that engine continued to 2015 in the Econoline so Ford still has some parts availability.

9L3Z-9K494-A is the current number. It is a kit that includes the stainless steel hardware and gaskets. It does not include the collector hardware.

BCD,

Thanks.

These are the manifolds I am searching for. I would love to find the OEM kit.

7C3Z-9431-B driver/ left 2006 f350 exhaust manifold 5.4 v8 . This part is readily available

Ford 3L3Z-9430-DA Exhaust Manifold Assembly 2004-2007 Ford 3L3Z9430DA passenger/ right- THIS PART IS DISCOUNTINUED

When I run that part number this is the response (discontinued)

Ford 9L3Z-9K494-A​

Manifold And Gaskets Kit
2009-2014 Ford 9L3Z9K494A

Ford 9L3Z-9K494-A Manifold And Gaskets Kit

• Part Description
    Kit - Manifold And Gaskets
  • Base No.
  • Replaces
    9L3Z-9430-D
  • Manufacturer
    Ford
  • Manufacturer's Notes
    This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase.

In that case get OEM. I ordered the Dorman took one look at it and sent it back. That was on my 01 F150. Broken studs of course. Even before attempting removal. I had a mobile bolt extraction service come to my house to get to one stud I couldn’t.

That 9K494 number supercedes the number you are looking for. It is on backorder, but it is NOT obsolete.
BDC,

Can you please take a second look if that part number (kit) will fit a 2007 F350 RWD, standard cab XLT 5.4L 3v?

I found three of the kits on ebay, including mega Ford part seller Lakeland Ford. When I plug in my year, it says the kit is not compatible with my 2007.

Thanks in advance.

Came across this posting on a 2004 5.4 Super Duty exhaust manifold replacement.

Although the 2004 has leaf springs in the front instead of a large coil, and I believe is a 2 valve instead of a 3v, I found promise at the access through the wheel wells. Maybe I will try doing this myself...

BDC,

Can you please take a second look if that part number (kit) will fit a 2007 F350 RWD, standard cab XLT 5.4L 3v?

I found three of the kits on ebay, including mega Ford part seller Lakeland Ford. When I plug in my year, it says the kit is not compatible with my 2007.

Thanks in advance.
That is the supercession tree. The 9A462 is the heatshield that should be able to be transferred over. This will not include the collector hardware which is W705374-S901 for the stud and W705443S-900 for the nut.

Attachments

• 9L3Z-9K494-A.jpg
    9L3Z-9K494-A.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: GON
I thought going through the wheel well was SOP.....
The videos I watched were on F150s, not F250/F350. Access to the studs on the F150 seemed to be much tougher to access than what the 2004 F250 is displaying.

Back