5-40 Rotella in vehicles calling for 5-20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JOD
availability is one of the major determining factors in MFG suggestions in other countries.

Xw-20 may not be readily available in Romania, but Xw-30 certainly is and has been for decades. So why do they still call for Xw-40 in the manual? Or was that just a hypothetical situation that ammolab mentioned?

The Romulan spec concerns the cloaking device, not the engine oil passages.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Now, Rotella T 5w-40 or T6?

What difference does it make? They're nearly identical.

Price. I was asking to make sure he's only considering T 5w-40 and not T6 for now.

What are you talking about? One is just a newer version of the other. They both cost about the same.

Maybe you're thinking about T 15w-40 which is mineral and does cost less, but that's not what he's asking about.

A couple of posters said to check what the Mazda MX5 calls for in other countries so I looked up Austrailia. On the Austrailian Mazda forum they said the following.

"If you have a look in the Maintenance and Care section of the owner's manual, Mazda recommends the use of Mazda Premium motor oil which is a 5W-40 Castrol synthetic" The site is-

http://www.ozmazda.com/board/index.php/topic/4690-nc-mx5-oil-question/

Then I looiked up Mazda Premium motor oil for Austraila and here it is-

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/3-323-discussion/2384-mazda-premium-engine-oil.html

It also says it's 5-40 Castrol Synthetic.

Now, Rotella T 5w-40 or T6?

What difference does it make? They're nearly identical.

Price. I was asking to make sure he's only considering T 5w-40 and not T6 for now.

What are you talking about? One is just a newer version of the other. They both cost about the same.

Maybe you're thinking about T 15w-40 which is mineral and does cost less, but that's not what he's asking about.

I did not know that they were the same. Interesting. I did think that T6 5w40 was slightly different than T 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back