5.4 3V New motor- 5w30 or 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an 05 F-150 that had 215,000 when I sold it and it ran perfect and used no oil. The previous owner used the Ford oil 5W-20 and I usually put in Mobil 1 0W-20. I used what the factory recommended and didn't have any problems. If you must use something different I would go with a 0W-30 or 5W-30. I run 0W-20 in my 2014 Ford 5.0 engine.

The oil choice won't matter much. The most Important thing on a 5.4L is to keep the oil changed.

I've replaced chains, phasers, oil pump, and pickup tube in about a dozen of these so far.

Sludgy ones usually need it done by 100k. Well maintained ones will make it to 150-175k. The 5.4 3v is just a turd. The 2V engines were much better.

Oil type matters little. 5w20 or 5w30 are both fine. I do believe there is less timing chain and guide wear on the 30wt oils, but I don't have proof.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
So you put 40 grade oil in one spec for 20 grade and engine failed but it was fault of 20 grade oil? Don't over think it go with what is spec and sleep well. Lots of engines use 20 grade oil with hundreds of thousands miles on them still running. 3 in my family running 20 grade 178k, 90k, 10k.

I didn't say 20 grade is at fault here, not even close. Just answering Jimmy's question

Since you are going with 5w30 which means it will be low zddp you may at least opt for a high moly oil. Many many companies are headed this way, QSUD, Truck and Gas, Amsoil, Redline, and even PYB if you are going conventional.

Castrol 0w40 for years in my 2009 F150. Quiet at startup, on the highway and at hot idle when I sold it at 120k miles. Change it often, whichever you chose.

Originally Posted by panthermike
blupupher- cost partially as well as what the warranty company will pay for. I really didn't want to fight with Ford to use my own part on their motor.

Ahh, OK, so not your dime, I can understand that. Even then, the newer OEM parts do address some of the issues, just not quite as well as something like the Melling pump would.

Again, I personally would just use a cheap synthetic 5w-20 and change every 4000 miles or so. It is what I am doing with my BIL truck.
I could understand the desire to use a name brand 5w-30 synthetic though, my brain still thinks that way some times, but regardless, I would lean toward shorter OCI instead of longer (or even recommended).
This is part of the reason I say use a cheap syn oil, regardless of which oil brand or weight is used, 4000 miles is about the limit on these things. the long timing chains, hydraulic adjusters, VCT solenoids, phasers, just a lot of stuff going on in these things that can be hard on oil.

Originally Posted by blupupher
blupupher- cost partially as well as what the warranty company will pay for. I really didn't want to fight with Ford to use my own part on their motor.

Ahh, OK, so not your dime, I can understand that. Even then, the newer OEM parts do address some of the issues, just not quite as well as something like the Melling pump would.

Again, I personally would just use a cheap synthetic 5w-20 and change every 4000 miles or so. It is what I am doing with my BIL truck.
I could understand the desire to use a name brand 5w-30 synthetic though, my brain still thinks that way some times, but regardless, I would lean toward shorter OCI instead of longer (or even recommended).
This is part of the reason I say use a cheap syn oil, regardless of which oil brand or weight is used, 4000 miles is about the limit on these things. the long timing chains, hydraulic adjusters, VCT solenoids, phasers, just a lot of stuff going on in these things that can be hard on oil.

Hey i appreciate the feedback, i've heard go with a shorter oci but wasn't sure how short. This helps, and makes total sense why you mention to use something cheap!

Originally Posted by burla
Since you are going with 5w30 which means it will be low zddp you may at least opt for a high moly oil. Many many companies are headed this way, QSUD, Truck and Gas, Amsoil, Redline, and even PYB if you are going conventional.

Thanks, I'm liking the Truck and Gas. It looks like a good overall blend and reasonably priced at WM.

Use 5W20 and the brand doesn't matter just keep the oil level topped off and change it every 7-10K miles. Unless you are in the severe service category the 5K.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Hey i appreciate the feedback, i've heard go with a shorter oci but wasn't sure how short. This helps, and makes total sense why you mention to use something cheap!

I would go shorter than any other engine you can think of that needs frequent oil changes, because these are one of the most likely engines to fail IMO.

5.4 is not robust. They fail often and early. Take care of it. There is a reason why you cant find them used. You don't need a HV oil pump. Its nice but way over priced.. I would say the standard volume Melling pump is a million times better than the Ford. I have one sitting in my garage to swap over in my 4.6 when I do the timing chains.

Originally Posted by FastLane
5.4 is not robust. They fail often and early. Take care of it. There is a reason why you cant find them used. You don't need a HV oil pump. Its nice but way over priced.. I would say the standard volume Melling pump is a million times better than the Ford. I have one sitting in my garage to swap over in my 4.6 when I do the timing chains.

You are just plain wrong with your opinion.

How do you know that the 40 weight oil did not cause your problem? It serms everyone is scared of 5w20 oils. Stick with what the manual says and drive that sucker for 200,000 miles👠I was scared of it also until gaining valuable knowledge on this site. This is a fun hobby for me.

Originally Posted by mrjlube
How do you know that the 40 weight oil did not cause your problem? It serms everyone is scared of 5w20 oils. Stick with what the manual says and drive that sucker for 200,000 miles👠I was scared of it also until gaining valuable knowledge on this site. This is a fun hobby for me.

Well I think it's very unlikely that ANY weight oil caused this issue; 20 or 40. This failure is not common i would say but there are examples of this specific failure out there with the 3V. All the issues I experienced pre-failure were prior to me trying 40w and with 20w in the sump. Again though; the failure was going to happen regardless.

I normally have no issue running what is spec'd but from my reading/research the 30w works well in the 3V(or at least certainly doesn't hurt).

Here's my thread when I knew something was up:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...f-150-5-4-3v-issues-imminent#Post5064089

Originally Posted by dave1251
No this engine is historically robust significantly more reliable than the industry average.

What?! You're crazy.

Hate to say it since I own one, but agree with caprice; they're not as good as the 2V for sure. Seems hit and miss though; my brother has the 3V in his '07 F150 and it has been trouble free for 175K miles, pretty ugly maintenance records to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back