5.4 3V Ford Triton Oil/carbon layer at spark plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi you all,

Ford Expedition, 2005.

Oil, carbon build up cylinder number 2 spark plug.
What could the reason be?

95k miles, feels week. Just like running on 7 cylinders not 8.
Plug tested using a snow mover engine checking for spark. Ok. accel Coils 0.9-1 ohm. 0.045 plug gap.
Tried a simple compression test, approx. 110 psi at cylinder 1-4.

Thanks for any input.

Valve seal? If was rings I'd think you'd have low compression until you squirted oil into the cylinder, plus there seems to be no deposits on the ceramic. So I'm thinking it's leaking down from a bad valve guide seal.

Does this use a different plug for cylinder 1?

Getting oil from somewhere. Might be piston rings or valve stem. but it might not be rings with even compression...?

Thanks, I am thinking of valve stem but do not know for sure.
Guess all the oil and carbon do bad things for the combustion.

The plug was not easy to remove, so the earlier owner did not mange to get it out.
I did use a different tool. Should be the same.

If it is a valve seal , should be cheaper than rings . Any chance it is still under Warranty ?

Best of luck , :)

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
If it is a valve seal , should be cheaper than rings . Any chance it is still under Warranty ?

Best of luck , :)

Thanks, Hope its not a rebuild case. No. No warrenty.

Originally Posted By: Oildudeny
Looks like that exhaust valve can't keep up with the 2 intake

Thanks, Interesting idea. Guess the onley thing to do is start pulling it apart.

Exactly . If the valves / seats and rings are OK , you might not have to pull the head to do valve seals ?

I would sell it, before 100k is a good time to still get value out of it. 5.4 Expedition isn't a vehicle to ride off into the sunset with anyway.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Time to do a leak down test. 110 psi seems low, I would expect 180+-15 or so just guessing. Throttle open, engine warm?

Thanks, I will check ! No. Just a quick test. Not fully open , but warm.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
If it's a valve stem seal, there are tools that can be used to change it out without having to remove the head.
I found it seaching for how to. Looks kind of tight fit. Not much room but possible.

I don't see any evidence of oil burning on the center electrode/insulator/ground electrode, If the cylinder was burning oil......There would be white crusty build-up on those 3 spark plug components.

Whomever installed the spark plugs could have applied the substance you see on the plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back