5.3L Vortec High Mileage Mountain Use Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good oil options for a 5.3L Vortec in a 2001 Yukon that has 160k. No valvetrain noise. It will be driven in Colorado Rockies only. Literally from airport downshifting and reving high all way up and down the mountains and back to the airport.

Last year we drove it on 10-20 degree days up and down the moutains for approximately 1500 miles and then it used up 1 qt. I used a basic 5w30. This year I am thinking switching to a high mileage 5w40 from what I've read on here? The motor runs hard down shifting and living life in 3rd gear etc.

Suggestions?

I'd recommend perhaps a high mileage 5w30. They're typically on the thicker end of 5w30 and have strong additive packs.

But honestly you couldn't go wrong with something like Pennzoil Platinum either, which is supposedly one of the thinnest 5w30s.

I'm running PP 5w30 in my 210,000mi 3.4L V6 4Runner and NextGen Maxlife 10w30 (were out of 5w) in my 196,000mi 1.8L 4cyl Corolla. Both work very well; I may switch the two around next OCI.

If you really want to go to a 5w40 I'd probably select Rotella T6 or equivalent.

Last edited:
Maxlife 5w30, not only is it awesome stuff regarding add packs and UOA results, it cut consumption in my son's high mileage Chrysler by two thirds.

No use moving to 5w40. I'd go for a high-mileage 5w30, as others have suggested.

MaxLife is very popular, but my opinion is to get whichever HM 5w30 is on sale.

I would carefully evaluate the 30w offerings but definitely consider a 40w if they do not curtail consumption.

We run M1 0w-40 in all our higher mileage fleet vans and Silverados, many of which have the exact engine you do.

Works well for us.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I would carefully evaluate the 30w offerings but definitely consider a 40w if they do not curtail consumption.

We run M1 0w-40 in all our higher mileage fleet vans and Silverados, many of which have the exact engine you do.

Works well for us.

Just wondering if the rpms and running the engine way harder then normal highway driving if the weights should change? I mean this thing is redlining/downshifting itself consistantly for 2 hours straight sometimes.

Valvoline Maxlife regular oil? Synthetic blend?

Last edited:
Mobil Super 5K 5W30.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Works well for us.

I would agree that Mobil 1 0W-40 would be a good choice. Given the fact that this engine is redlining so often and driven in true extreme conditions. I would love to see a UOA of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back