5/32 enough for Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done it before but it's not fun. It depends on your luck and skill level. At least your car is front wheel drive. Hill climbs with snow covered roads are challenging in my Buick with that low of tread on front.

Don't know what your winters are like, but 5/32 should be ok through a wet winter if you're careful, but I wouldn't trust 5/32 on snow unless they were winters/snows in the first place.
Would you trust them to grip the road if you had to slam on the brakes and swerve to avoid a kid chasing his ball? Or if someone cuts across. You at a junction?
IMO, there are times when it's ok to use your discretion to get a few more miles out of a part but brakes and tyres are NOT on that list. Brakes and threes are all the safety you have.

I'm thinking if you are starting out with 5/32nds, there won't be a lot of tread left at the end of winter. So if I were you, I'd get new winter tires. After all, it isn't like WI doesn't get much snow.

No, it isn't. But I've managed on less. Mostly because I can work from home and avoid being on the road, and live in the sticks, so "other drivers" are less of an issue for me.

How much do you need to drive? I probably drove in snow less than ten times last winter.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Is 5/32nds enough for winter on a 2013 Camry?

On what tires?

Bridgestone Turanza all seasons, 40 miles per day, plowed and salte, well constructed ,but not perfect rural roads.

This is a nearly new car?
For something fairly new, I'd put better rubber on it for winter.
Tires are a consumable and you aren't giving up much replacing these at 5/32. There are also plenty of good choices at moderate price points in all season tires.
If it were a 2003 Camry, I might chance it.
OTOH, probably not.

I always run winter tires, so for me, no way. I'd finish them up next spring/summer and replace then. Are winter tires necessary, no, but they sure do make winter driving a LOT more enjoyable. I rarely dread road conditions.

I like to change them before I have to. Never know when a bad streak of winter weather hits and I don't want to have be thinking a lot about worn tires all along while driving.
add - It's like I've already changed out all the wiper blades on the 3 vehicles. And we just had rain. Didn't want to wait when it's raining out, then find I need wipers and have to go out in the rain and change them after driving with bad wiper.

Check your local tire stores and see what's available and for sales.

Last edited:
Are there ANY reccomended winter tires that aren't $250 each and ARE on I directional?

Why don't you want directional? Even the winterforce would be better than 5/32 all seasons

I am in a similar situation with a 2010 Camry on the original Michelin MXV4 S8 Primacy's. I plan on running these as long as possible until winter really hits, which is right about now! If you decide to go with winter tires, there are lots of good choices out there for less than $100 per tire.

Are there ANY reccomended winter tires that aren't $250 each and ARE on I directional?

Dunlop Winter Max
Continental Extremewintercontact

Tire Rack shows a set of 4 Dunlop tires mounted on wheels shipped to your door for about $725(TPMS extra)..where are you seeing $250 each? The dealer? A lot of dealers are price competitive and many have a buy 3 get one for $1 offer now.

I'd say marginal, but I'd also want to know what area of the state you're in. SE Wi winters are different than NE winters.

You do a fair amount of driving, so by the end of winter, you're going to need tires.

Have a look at my tires guys, here's the pics with tread depth measurements.

Fronts (summary 5-6ish/32 with side exit channels exiting last rib worn gone)
Fronts Photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctai7mzodpr97lr/Photo%20Aug%2011%2C%2011%2024%2018%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Rears (summary 6-7ish/32 with Sime side exits still open about 1/32)
Rears Photo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gztez2b4pfom75p/Photo%20Aug%2011%2C%2011%2016%2045%20AM.jpg?dl=0

They look pretty good to me, but the deeper the tread the better and less chance of picking up a nail, I've heard.

I got an extra set of steelies and kept the OEM tires on my car when I bought some news ones ~30-40k miles. Useful for dealing with issues like this and they only cost $10-15 each at the auto recycling pick in pull.

With winter tires or maybe an all-season that is very good (for an A/S) in winter, such as the H727, I might do it. If you have these tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...E&tab=Specs

then I would replace them. Even without winter performance factored in they get lousy reviews. Also from the caption on your photo I am guessing you have the S with the "sportier" suspension. In that case, any tire will wear faster.

If you go with an A/S you run up against the V-speed rating thing. The Cooper CS5 Ultra is an option there: http://is.gd/pbdmJC

If I were in your shoes and could afford it I would get X-Ice Xi3s for winter, and save the Turanzas to run down next spring. There are cheaper winter tire options, too---but no decent tire is cheap in 215/55R17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back