5-30 vs. 0-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most new cars call for 5-30 in the manufactures manuals, but apparantly a lot of you are running 0-30 instead because that is the only weight that GC comes in. Is going against manufactures recomendation recommended?

A 0W-30 synthetic exceeds the performance characteristics of a dino 5W-30 so I think an OEM would have a hard time trying to "getcha" because you used a synthetic 0W-30 where a dino 5W-30 was acceptable. I don't think they would even press it if you used GC in a Vette where 5W-30 synthetic is required.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
A 0W-30 synthetic exceeds the performance characteristics of a dino 5W-30 so I think an OEM would have a hard time trying to "getcha" because you used a synthetic 0W-30 where a dino 5W-30 was acceptable. I don't think they would even press it if you used GC in a Vette where 5W-30 synthetic is required.

You have to remember that manufacturers' recommendations for weight are almost always about the "lowest common denominator" - how bad could it get. You might find a recommendation fo for 10W-30 above certain temps, simply because of higher oil volatility of conventional 5W-30 at the time. That doesn't take into account the lower volatility of synthetic 5W-30s.

I remember asking about using Mobil 0W-30 in my '95 Integra GS-R. I called the Acura question line, and got nothing more than a canned statement that "only 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil of API SH or SG is recommended". I even asked about the manual's recommendation for API SG or SF motor oil for the manual tranny. At the time, API SG had already been phased out for a couple of years. I got another canned response. That's what you're going to have to deal with if any warranty issue arises. They'll ask to see service receipts or notes (I take copious notes and now take a digital pic of the odo and/or fluids/parts) and they might see an "unauthorized" fluid as a reason to give you a hard time.

Sure - a 0W-30 motor oil meets all the 5W-30 requirements, but for warranty claims, you could conceivably be given a hard time just because they can do it. You're not out of luck, but it might be harder to get warranty service. They could give someone a hard time for not following the instructions to the letter.

You can substitute an SAE 0w-30 for either a 5w-30 or a 10w-30. You can even substitute it for a 5w-20, since it brackets that viscosity recommendation.

Most of my local customers have been running 0w-30 (Series 2000) for the past ten years. Even with the very hot local climate, I've seen no engine durability or oil consumption issues with the ACEA, A3/B4 rated, 0w-30's....

Service managers by and large are clueless when it comes to lubricants, filters, etc....

Tooslick

I'm running an 04 GTO LS1....5-30 is just too **** thin.....I run Amsoil 0-30 and the engine performs much better (quieter/throttle response etc.)....I also will challenge any "shop/stealership to argue 5-30 protects better than my Amsoil 0-30....of course I voided my warranty at mile 200:) Lil headers/cam/heads/intake never hurt nobody did it?
Try a quality 0-30 in your ride like the Amsoil 0-30 or GC 0-30.....you will be able to tell the difference quickly....and never lose sight of the fact the 0-30 will get to the top of the engine quicker to oil critical parts than a 5-30....albeit a millisecond...but those milliseconds add up over the years and equate to "avoidable" engine wear due viscosity choices IMHO....

I've read where Mobil discontinued their 0W20 Mobil-1, which was supposed to work in 5W20 applications, due to dealers/manufacturers disallowing warranty claims. They replaced it with Mobil-1 5W20.

quote:

Originally posted by Woody:
I've read where Mobil discontinued their 0W20 Mobil-1, which was supposed to work in 5W20 applications, due to dealers/manufacturers disallowing warranty claims. They replaced it with Mobil-1 5W20.

There lies the rub. The dealership or carmaker isn't going to do any additional research. Suppose they do have their own research on the use of 0W-30 oils and find that it's suitable. If the owner's manual doesn't state that, it's an opening for the manufacturer to deny warranty claims. Now GM did recommend 0W-30 oils for extreme winter conditions at one time.

I'm not saying that denying a warranty claim based on "unauthorized fluids" such as weights not listed or lack of the API donut is right. However - manufacturers or dealers have denied warranty claims on those grounds.

quote from a 2000 GM Chev Metro owners manuel "If you are in an area where the temperature falls below -20F(-29C), consider using either an SAE 5w30 synthetic or an SAE 0w30 oil. Both will provide easier coil starting and better protection for your engine at extremely low tempertures." I have read this in other GM manuels also. Whats funny is that this quote was from a manuel for a Chev Metro but cannot be found in my manuel for my Suzuki Swift which is the same car. Both manuels do say 5w30 is the preferred oil but your can also use 10w30, they also say 'DO NOT USE 20W50'.

quote:

gudmund Wrote:
quote from a 2000 GM Chev Metro owners manuel "If you are in an area where the temperature falls below -20F(-29C), consider using either an SAE 5w30 synthetic or an SAE 0w30 oil. Both will provide easier coil starting and better protection for your engine at extremely low tempertures." I have read this in other GM manuels also. Whats funny is that this quote was from a manuel for a Chev Metro but cannot be found in my manuel for my Suzuki Swift which is the same car. Both manuels do say 5w30 is the preferred oil but your can also use 10w30, they also say 'DO NOT USE 20W50'.

My Chevy Optra manuals says most of the same, but does not recommend going thicker than 5W30.

Just the same, after 2300 km, I put in the Essence of Gummi Bears and Elves.

[edited for silly spelling mistake]

Let me throw this out there.

I was under the belief that oils with narrower viscosity ranges were higher in quality than those with wider viscosity ranges due to the additives needed to make those wider ranges possible.

This might only apply to Dino, and not synthetic.

Anbybody else hear this?

And based on this, a 5-30 would be a better oil than a 0-30, due to the narrower range

quote:

Originally posted by SE05:
Let me throw this out there.

I was under the belief that oils with narrower viscosity ranges were higher in quality than those with wider viscosity ranges due to the additives needed to make those wider ranges possible.

This might only apply to Dino, and not synthetic.

Anbybody else hear this?

And based on this, a 5-30 would be a better oil than a 0-30, due to the narrower range

SE05,

That is assuming that "an oil is an oil is an oil." If a 0W-30 has a magic base stock with a naturally high VI then you are much better off with that zeedub than with a 5W-30 which is "built on a 'weak base'."

quote:

0W viscosities fall within the definition of 5W, so either can be used. Perhaps Mobil only changed the labelling of their 0w20, renaming it to 5w20.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:

quote:

0W viscosities fall within the definition of 5W, so either can be used. Perhaps Mobil only changed the labelling of their 0w20, renaming it to 5w20.

I think that is a very plausable assumption UNLESS Mobil is responding to OEM issues, in which case they might figure the OEM guys are watching the viscosity numbers to see if there is an actual change.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:

quote:

That's what bothers me about the standard SAE viscosity classifications. They say little about actual suitability for the purpose. There are some indications that the SAE J-300 viscosity spec might be supplemented with a "triangle" that provides a detailed fuel economy rating, the HTHS, and low temperature limits,

-

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000388090.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back