5/20 SC or SD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for old car parts and found this can in one of the box's. This dates to 1982 when I purhcased snow-thrower that had a 11 hp B&s engine. As you can see, I never used it. Used Amsoil instead. Although I no longer have it (sold it to a neighbor in 1992), it still in running on the same engine as he gave it to his son-in-law about 5 yrs ago.

So 5W-20 is not something new.

-

-

[ July 30, 2003, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Also remember the first release of Mobil 1 synthetic was also as 5w20. The oil chart for my '88 Cherokee with the 4.0l allows the use of 5w20 if outside temps will remain below 20 F.

Nothing new under the sun...

I know that but many think 5W-20 is something new and dangerous from all the worry I see expressed, I just wanted to show some engine makers were recommending it long time ago.

[ July 30, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

5W20 weight oil may not be new, but engine manufacturers recommending it's use during warm or hot weather appears to have started recently (within the last few years).

What was the API service designation when Ford and Honda first specified 5W-20 oils for year 'round use in all climates? SL? Suppose there was a reason for that? My thinking is that anyone with a stock of ancient 5W-20 oil carrying only an SC or SD rating who puts it into his engine for summer use deserves what he gets. Remember, the SL 5W-20s are either full synthetic or synthetic blends using Group-II and Group-III base stocks - a far cry from the Group-I solvent refined base stocks of the mid-'80s.

I am a volunteer firefighter and the original owners manual is still in the glove box of our 1972 Ford C 750 pumper. Ford recommended 20w20 for cold weather operation and straight 30 or 40 for warmer weather. The engine is a Ford 391 V8.

Ray - it was actually under the SJ designation, not SL. Check out the motorcraft website. At last check they still had not updated the specs on the 5w20 Motorcraft oil, and it lists the SJ specification.

I don't think anyone here is planning on using a 5w20 from the early 80's. I don't know that I would use any oil from that era, period, given what we have today.

The point is 5w20 is not anything new or exotic, though its use in warm weather is a new thing.

quote:

Remember, the SL 5W-20s are either full synthetic or synthetic blends using Group-II and Group-III base stocks - a far cry from the Group-I solvent refined base stocks of the mid-'80s.

I wasn't aware of this. I thought most of the OTC 5W20 oils (Valvoline, QS, Pennzoil, Castrol, and Mobil) were conventional dino. Motorcraft says their 5W20 is a syn. blend, and Castrol says they are introducing a syn. blend 5W20. And full syn. Mobil 1 is supposedly available in 0W20.

In reality, all the conventional 5w20's sold today are group II-III blends. Whether that is a synthetic blend is a matter of semantics - do you consider Group III to be synthetic? I don't, although I do consider these oils to be very good!

Only motorcraft labels its 5w20 as a syn blend, even though the other oils on the market with the same blend do not. Even Conoco, who makes the motorcraft 5w20, does not call its 5w20 a syn blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back