5/20 in suzuki

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 97 sidekick i was thinking of putting 5/20 oil in it, it has 98544 miles on it. All the driving that i do is in town and some wheeling in 100deg.
shocked.gif
days.
 -

i have 1030 high milage oil in it. i drive 1 mile to work
grin.gif

-

[ May 26, 2004, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: safarikick ]

No...that is way too thin. The only reason any engine uses it is for CAFE reasons, and even those designed for it would probably be better off with thicker oil...

I have '98 1.6L Sidekick. It calls for 5W-30 on the manual. It has slightly over 100,000 miles. I use Valvoline Max-life in it. I think I might switch to Castrol GTX HM though, but still keep to the 5W-30 it calls for. The FRAM oil filter on it is the last one for sure!

Yes, and 15W40 oils have the better additive package. Might help with your frequent short trips.

Among the mass-market brands, I'd go with Pennzoil due to the high moly content.

--- Bror Jace

Would a 5W-40 CH-4/ CI-4 Group III semi syn like Shell Rotella 5W-40 be worth running?

What is it at Wal Mart, around $12.50 a gallon?

That would give the addive pack and the temperature range.

If I was driving 1 mile to work, I'd want:

-the thinnest oil for start up,

-most robust addive pack,

-higher viscosity for since it is a 100K engine

-and a fairly low price since I'd drain it every 3 months ..OR LESS.

Other oils I'd consider would be a 'high mileage' oil like Max-Life or better in a 10W-40, or Delo 400 in a 15W-40.

You should consider trying SuperTech High Mileage synthetic blend 10w30. This oil is made by Warren Dist and has a pretty robust add pack (that's why it's rated CF in addition to SL). It's less than $8.00 for a 5 qt jug at Wal-Mart.

Dude, for one mile, get a bicycle. Engine water temperature guage probably doesn't even move by the time you get to work. I would surely not jump into a 5W-20. 5W-30 would get my vote.

I bought my step daughter a new '96 X-90 with the 1.6L engine.

It now has about 42K on the clock, and I put 15/40 in it in the summer, and 10/30 in the winter.

I put 5/30 in it one winter and the little engine sounded so noisy, I took it out a week later.

I don't think I would put 5/20 in it if you have this same 1.6L engine.

With your Cal. climate, 5w30 is thin enough for your short trips. I would not go thinner than 5w30 in your application.
welcome.gif

[ May 26, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Dude, for one mile, get a bicycle. Engine water temperature guage probably doesn't even move by the time you get to work. I would surely not jump into a 5W-20. 5W-30 would get my vote.

I agree, if I lived that close to work, I'd be riding a bike almost everyday. Even in Minnesota, it'd be quicker than scraping off the car.
wink.gif
Unfortunately I live 40 miles from work, so it's ain't happening.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by safarikick:
i have a 97 sidekick i was thinking of putting 5/20 oil in it, it has 98544 miles on it.

No, don't do it!!!!!! Sidekicks have been proven to give great UOA with thick oils. I have a 1998 4-door Sidekick, 1.8 L 16-valve engine. The UOA is there for you to see if you click on "UOA" section. I also had a 1.6 L 2-door back in 1990; I used Castrol GTX 20w-50 in that one.

These days, with better 40-weights available, I use Castrol GTX 10w-40, Chevron Delo 15w-40, Schaeffer Supreme 7000 Series 15w-40. Make sure you use the OEM Suzuki oil filter, always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back