5/15 New 2.7 Million Vehicle GM Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Corrosion in the wiring could result in brake lamps failing to illuminate when the brakes are applied or brake lamps illuminating when the brakes are not engaged. Additionally, cruise control, traction control, electronic stability control and panic braking assist operation could be disabled.

GM said it was aware of several hundred complaints, 13 crashes and two injuries but no fatalities as a result of the condition.

GM's prior penny-pinching is coming back to bite them in the bum in a huge way.

When recalls go back 10 years, that leads me to believe the issues are more than just an oversight or an isolated case; it's an indication of wide-spread corporate failure.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
So pretty much like Toyota.

Kinda, but with lower resale value.

Seriously, though, the recalls on our cars have been absurd. I know there was a fatality, but redesigned floor mat clips? (Which by the way wouldn't have held the third party mat in that incident anyway) I imagine some of these GM recalls are similarly pointless, but necessary due to the current media frenzy.

Several hundred complaints does seem high, though.

Last edited:
Thats why I say wait at least 5 years on any new auto tech or major change. Never know whats gonna fail 5 + years down the road.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

When recalls go back 10 years, that leads me to believe the issues are more than just an oversight or an isolated case; it's an indication of wide-spread corporate failure.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a thread on April 1st about GM recalling all vehicles 1999 and newer? Maybe it wasn't an April Fools joke after all.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Thats why I say wait at least 5 years on any new auto tech or major change. Never know whats gonna fail 5 + years down the road.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

Thats hard to do for most of the world who sees a shiny new car and just buys it without any knowledge of what their actually getting.

My Japanese-built Honda is purported to be the most reliable made, and Ive had multiple recalls including valvesprings that break and trash the engine to PW sw incinerating the interior, etc. Seen 2013 Nissan Pathdfinders with control arms falling off and loss of steering, Subarus with disintregrating Ej and FB engines, A giant pile of replaced rotted-out Toyota truck frames at my Toyota dealer, you name it recalls and major TSB - everywhere!

GM ain't what it was in the 50's, 60's and 80's but my rented Malibu (2011) slaughters a Camry as a driver.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My Japanese-built Honda is purported to be the most reliable made, and Ive had multiple recalls including valvesprings that break and trash the engine to PW sw incinerating the interior, etc. Seen 2013 Nissan Pathdfinders with control arms falling off and loss of steering, Subarus with disintregrating Ej and FB engines, A giant pile of replaced rotted-out Toyota truck frames at my Toyota dealer, you name it recalls and major TSB - everywhere!

GM ain't what it was in the 50's, 60's and 80's but my rented Malibu (2011) slaughters a Camry as a driver.

+1000 Arco.

Toyota and Honda can recall millions of vehicles, but it won't register with the fan base. The moment GM recalls their cars, it's proof they're making junk.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

+1000 Arco.

Toyota and Honda can recall millions of vehicles, but it won't register with the fan base. The moment GM recalls their cars, it's proof they're making junk.

It is all perception and GM is not as good at it but learning. Not always the product.

As a manufacturer you have to over design to take into account real world situtions. They are cutting the specs too close to save a penny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back