5-10 mph click/knock from front end - 2004 Silverado 4x2.

This has been going on intermittently for a year now, but is finally getting constant enough that I am confident that it will do it when my mechanic is driving it...

On my 2004 Silverado (120,000 miles, 5.3, 4x2), I am getting a rhythmic knock (from the inside of the cab) or a click (from the outside) from the front end. Happens most reliably at around 5 mph, upwards towards 10 mph. It goes away if I touch the brake pedal. It will continue to knock/tap when I turn the steering wheel. Best guess is that it is coming from the driver's side corner. I am not getting any moaning at highway speed, just the knock/click.

Last time I had the front end up in the air, I pulled and tugged on each front tire (at 12 and 6 position... and 3 and 9), and didn't get any play that I didn't expect.

I had a front driver's side wheel bearing/hub fail on the 2000 Sierra (150,000 miles, 5.3, 4x2), but it was making a moaning noise at highway speed and had the expected play/clunk at 12 and 6 when tugging on the wheel. It had the symptoms that I expected from a failing bearing.

It isn't anything in the tread of the tire, but that's what it sounds like.

at first I thought you mean while turning the wheel and I was thinking strut bearing.. but after you clarified.. sounds like somewhere in the rotating powertrain.

Good luck finding it.

Do you have any kind of wheel covers? Maybe see if there's a wheel weight on the lip of the tire that's loose? Try tightening the wheel nuts?

Another thought: the universal joint on the transmission end of the driveshaft.

Had something like that happening on a work truck. Ended up being a cab body mount. I guess it's a Chevy thing and pretty common. Something to check anyway.

It is service bulletin #177268. My Tahoe had the same thing. I brought it to the dealer and it was fixed for free. It has something to do with the control arm. I'm sorry I don't remember exactly.....

Here's a short video of what I'm hearing. You're going to hear two sounds. One is the base of a rubber valve stem, rolling around inside of the tire. That's not it. ;)

The other sound is a metallic clicking noise. That's the sound that I'm trying to diagnose. There were also two sharp metallic noises, like two pieces of metal pipe being stuck together. No idea on that one either.

There is no slop in the wheel bearing, and no moaning noise at speed.

These trucks are NOTORIOUS for intermediate steering shaft play. Actually a lot of GM vehicles from this area have this issue. Relatively easy fix if that is your problem.

EDIT: I watched your video, you do not have an intermediate steering shaft issue lol

Look up "intermediate steering shaft grease redistribution".......Been doing this to my 2006 2500HD for years & it stops the noise for @ 8-9 months. At least it will eliminate that as a possibility.

Back