4th gen Camry's any good?

Indeed. It's not that I'm giving her an option, as much as reducing work for me. She has a pile of afterschool activities, and someone has to pick up/drop off. So she'll get a car that maybe she can take to college... which makes me wish I was getting a hatchback or the like. Still, as a teenager's first car, I view it as a bit of cannon fodder. I'm not spending a lot here.

Yeah, it was tongue in cheek. Not looking forward to doing another TB but if I have to do one this year, might as well do.

I haven't looked much for these, I think they are out of my price range, and often rusty.

What, so you can swoop in on me? I don't think so! :eek::LOL:

Ironically, what I found is a dead ringer for the one I already have. Will look at lunchtime, see if it pans out.
There's deals to be had at times. While it was an elderly neighbor's family who sold me mine, and I got a decent deal, I only paid $2,500.

Don’t know much about the new generation Camrys. In my opinion the 3rd generation Camrys are the best and I own a 94 Camry XLE 3.0 V6 with almost 300,000 miles on the clock, The last Camry I owned before passing it on to my sister was a 2009 Camry LE 4cyl., I still keep up on the maintenance and the Change the oil 3,000 miles because of of minor oil consumption issues… I like the body style of the new Camrys.

There's deals to be had at times. While it was an elderly neighbor's family who sold me mine, and I got a decent deal, I only paid $2,500.

Not sure how much I really want to look, but thanks, I guess I should go look at them. I know nadda about them, but as cannon fodder...

Edit: bit of a shady place, that Maxwell motors:
Prices and payments do not include tax, titles, tags, finance charges, emissions testing charges, 599 dealer admin fee, 199 nitro fee, or other fees required by law, vehicle sellers or lending organizations. Any price or quoted price is after 3000 cash or trade subtracted.
So is the $2,050 more like $5,848 OTD? Nice...

Don’t know much about the new generation Camrys. In my opinion the 3rd generation Camrys are the best and I own a 94 Camry XLE 3.0 V6 with almost 300,000 miles on the clock, The last Camry I owned before passing it on to my sister was a 2009 Camry LE 4cyl., I still keep up on the maintenance and the Change the oil 3,000 miles because of of minor oil consumption issues… I like the body style of the new Camrys.
Had a 6th gen, a 2011, which was reaaaalllly boring. Reliable, but after 230k it was showing its age, and rust was creeping up. Did what I wanted, just not with any sort of feel-good to it. Beltline was high, etc. But it did its jobs. Our '21 is better, but still somewhat lackluster, competent but that's about it.

Last edited:
Not sure how much I really want to look, but thanks, I guess I should go look at them. I know nadda about them, but as cannon fodder...

Had a 6th gen, a 2011, which was reaaaalllly boring. Reliable, but after 230k it was showing its age, and rust was creeping up. Did what I wanted, just not with any sort of feel-good to it. Beltline was high, etc. But it did its jobs. Our '21 is better, but still somewhat lackluster, competent but that's about it.
I agree they’re boring cars, I like the new Camrys.

My mother had a 2000 (almost identical to 1999) LE 4-cylinder, which my sister-in-law inherited and still drives. Very little trouble with it, although I hear it's consuming some oil now. It has much better seats than my Prius does.

A few things...

1) If you have family down south you may want to arrange for a week long vacation and car search. The difference in quality and longevity between older used cars south of the Mason-Dixon and those in the northern New England area are night and day.

2) The weak spot on most older vehicles are transmission fluid changes. If a car doesn't have a track record of them and has over 150k I avoid it.

3) Buy the owner, not the brand. As a car ages it's really the owner that makes the difference. There are some no-no nadirs, but most cars with a diligent owner will remain excellent choices. Even if they are not popular.

All the best!

You have to remember for a car to be "boring" it has to be reliable. No one gets "bored" with a car that has to go in for repairs all the time. Besides, you don't buy a car like a Camry or a Corolla to, "get excited".

They're dependable, economical transportation to get from point A to point B, and always have been. Yeah, you hear stories of how quality has been "slipping" at Toyota. But that kind of crap is always relative. It's not like everyone else is building Rolex's, while the guys at Toyota are all getting drunk on the job.

For what it's worth I have not had a single issue with mine. But I'm not the best barometer to gauge by. I purchased mine new, and I live in a very dry, warm climate. And I don't drive much.

But overall I think most any Toyota is going to wind up being as, or more dependable than anything else on the road... Regardless of the generation or model.

The hardest obstacle you're going to find now, is getting one at a fair price... Or finding anything worth buying at all at any price. This is most definitely not a buyers market for new or used cars right now.

Still shopping. Although I did see a MkIV wagon... would be like setting my money on fire, but boy do I miss that car. Too bad I wasn't a mechanic. But I think I'm past that, boring is good (enough).

Back