4th gen Camry's any good?

and why am I going to look at another one??? haven't I learned my lesson by now?

Daughter needs a car, and of all our fleet, she likes my car the most. !

Feels kinda weird, thinking about buying the same car, again.

My 15 year old (on his permit) loves mine compared to the prii he's otherwise accustomed to.

It's a combination of the traditional "3 box" greenhouse, and the geared auto trans that downshifts with that extra kick in power and noise.

My 15 year old (on his permit) loves mine compared to the prii he's otherwise accustomed to.

It's a combination of the traditional "3 box" greenhouse, and the geared auto trans that downshifts with that extra kick in power and noise.
She said she doesn't like the CRV as the ride is awful, but she isn't enamored with our hybrid as "you can't hear what it's doing". Almost makes me think I shoulda kept the stickshift car, maybe she would have liked that car some day...

I might still like my old Camry over our hybrid, despite the hybrid being better in so many ways. 3 box car indeed, but it does that and quite well.

I thought Camry's were good cars? Except for the clogged rings on 2007-2009 ish years. For practical transportation, why not buy another?
More or less. The 2AZ-FE's were a bit of a fail, and the later 6AT's had some complaints. But they tend to be a bit boring, and the 2011 we had was perhaps just a bit too boring, even for us.

If I bought another one, it'd be the fourth one we've had.

They're good if you don't get the V6 :)

The 4th gen 1MZ-FE is one of the few cars that actually requires a 3k OCI on synthetic :sneaky:
Also, that V6 is one of the most difficult engines to work on if you need to get to the back of the engine for any reason.

You of all people should know that they're about as reliable as it gets.

But they're getting old now. Finding one in good shape might be hard these days. I'm thinking of just signing the title of mine over to my brother. It's tired. Really tired. No reliability problems, just cosmetically and could use some work.

Maybe consider what I just picked up, '06-10' Sonata. These ones the engines don't blow up. Typically old lady cars too. Ridiculously simple to work on and the parts on Rock Auto are insanely cheap.

1) Post details of the one you're going to look at.
2) You've owned 3 already...,that makes the 4th, 5th and 6th much easier to service.
3) You'll reshuffle your deck of 20 year old cars soon enough....so no big deal in the first place.
Best of luck shopping.

When I was young I would have been ecstatic if my parents bought me ANY CAR. Let alone get picky over a new one. That was never an option. If I didn't pay for it I walked, or took the bus.
Indeed. It's not that I'm giving her an option, as much as reducing work for me. She has a pile of afterschool activities, and someone has to pick up/drop off. So she'll get a car that maybe she can take to college... which makes me wish I was getting a hatchback or the like. Still, as a teenager's first car, I view it as a bit of cannon fodder. I'm not spending a lot here.

You of all people should know that they're about as reliable as it gets.
Yeah, it was tongue in cheek. Not looking forward to doing another TB but if I have to do one this year, might as well do.

Maybe consider what I just picked up, '06-10' Sonata.
I haven't looked much for these, I think they are out of my price range, and often rusty.

1) Post details of the one you're going to look at.
What, so you can swoop in on me? I don't think so! :eek::LOL:

Ironically, what I found is a dead ringer for the one I already have. Will look at lunchtime, see if it pans out.

Camry gang 💪
XV20 ('97-'01) is a certified hood classic
Timing belts are important, and the oil pump seal on the 2.2 can spontaneously destruct emptying the oil in short order, unaliving the engine

The automatics have a separate drain and fill for AT/Differential, no one ever checks the diff level, they unalive themselves

Keep fluids in it, and don't nuclear overheat it, and they'll run forever

One of the guys on here, macrose had a mint condition one for sale a few weeks down in Atlanta. He does currently have an 08 Camry hybrid available. Look under "Steve lang" Atlanta craigslist. Here's a picture, 2008 with 132k, good service history.
00M0M_6s8qomNSXE8z_0ce09a_1200x900.jpg

I'd get a 1MZ Camry.

One of the guys on here, macrose had a mint condition one for sale a few weeks down in Atlanta. He does currently have an 08 Camry hybrid available. Look under "Steve lang" Atlanta craigslist. Here's a picture, 2008 with 132k, good service history. View attachment 125279
No, that would be a terrible choice. 14 yr old hybrid battery, 2AZ oil burner.

and why am I going to look at another one??? haven't I learned my lesson by now?

Daughter needs a car, and of all our fleet, she likes my car the most. !

Feels kinda weird, thinking about buying the same car, again.
It is the generation of the infamous oil sludge... so, make sure the maintenance was done properly (ie 5,000 oci's after the initial 7500 oci's)...

the 4th gen was often noted for the cheapening of the Camry, after the overbuilt 3rd gen.

The Car Care Nut, just did a video on a 4th gen, that showed a botched timing belt job on the 1MZ based on his inspection.

Went and checked it out, structurally ok, but getting crunchy--rear subframe was "ok" but getting pretty scaly and from what I understand, getting hard to get replacements for. Worse, the exhaust had several gumball repairs, welding on the level that I could do, so I suspect the exhaust was real thin and close to done. New radiator but the overflow tank was full of water? not Toyota red, bit of a flag. Saw some brake lines getting a bit of crust, definitely a Northeast car (but again, no holes in body or floorpan, so good bones at least there).

Couldn't figure out the oil leak. Huge puddle under the oil filter. Probably just oil pump o-ring. But hadn't seen that before. The oil leak on the exhaust, that I had seen, so I'm guessing it never had a TB and needed all the usual oil leak fixes.

Didn't bother with a test drive, price too high relative to my risk I thought. Darn clean though, apparently at least some of them still have clear coat! Tires, struts, TB right off the bat, plus whatever else might turn up. Maybe an ok bet.. but I think if the exhaust gave up it'd be a full system, and I don't think those are cheap.

What year and what were they asking?
'99 and $2,500. Which to be honest is the new reality, I know, but since I'm not (too) desperate I felt it was best to hold off.

• Wow
Reactions: JTK
Back