4T65E Forward Band Servo access – new parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
SONNAX has a new Extended Length Forward Band Servo Pin Kit that helps reduce shudder and pounding on
the forward band that can result in a broken band and no forward gears!

I was under the ‘09 Impala 3.5V6 to do an oil change and wanted to see if I could eye-ball for location
and clearance to see if the forward servo cover can be removed and serviced, it's at the back of the tranny.
I didn’t see much, I didn’t use ramps this time.

Question: > Anyone know if the Forward Band Servo cover can be removed and serviced with the 4T65E
still in the car? I was thinking I’d remove the engine torque struts and rock the engine forward or back
as needed. Comments?

BTW the oil was only a little dark on the dipstick and paper after 8K miles (13K Kms), best yet it seems.
Amsoil Ea064 filter, 2 FilterMags, 4 bar mags, 2 bar mags inside, 1 mag on the end of the filter, yeah,
looks a little weird. Saved some oil samples for UOA. Impala at 139K miles (224K Kms).

#13 is the Forward Band Servo Cover, Not that Trav didn't tell you exactly where it is. Broken Forward Bands are not that common on later units like yours, Shuddering on take off is usually caused by the Lip Seals/Piston in the Input Clutch.
If your having issues at your mileage.....It's a little late for band-aids, But some get lucky. I stopped patching 4T65E's long ago because customer perception doesn't always align with reality.

08q7o1r.gif

Thanks clinebarger !

My concern is can the Forward Band Servo cover / assy be removed with the tranny still in the car?
I was thinking the back of the subframe or the steering rack may be in the way
on a GM W car (Impala)

How would you access it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back