4Runner V6 0w40 M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned in a post several weeks ago that I have a friend that was given some free M1 0w40 that he wanted to use up in his V6 2010 Toyota 4Runner. Anyway he has been running this oil and reports that his truck has never run better so his new question is can he use this oil year round? I know it is a 40 weight and his truck recommends a 30 weight but it is a 0w40 so as far as cold starting in Jan when it gets below zero will Mobil 1 0w40 flow better or worse than M1 5w30 (what he usually runs)? should he just save the rest of the 0w40 for the summer months?

Originally Posted By: CT8
What does the 0w part mean in 0w-40?

It means it is the lightest "cold" flowing grade. The first number is how light it is when cold. 10w is heavier than 5w, is heavier than 0w.
The second number is really what needs to be adhered to.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
free M1 0w-40? Use it with a $hit eating grin all year round! Enjoy.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
What does the 0w part mean in 0w-40?

It means the oil will pump at temperatures FAR below what you will ever see in Mass. That said, last time I looked at specs of M1 0w-40 vs. M1 5w-30 (because I had to make this decision on my 5.7L), the 5w had a slightly better cold characteristics somewhere in the 20-60 deg F range....or where you'll frequently be starting up your vehicle at. Realistically, for your location, they are essentially equal at winter temps.

Ran many times and will be this winter in my 06 4.0l will see -20F filter is more of concern RP 20-400 only one I use.

Look out, it's gonna blow!
57.gif

(sarcasm)

I've been running M1 0W40 in my Sonata V6 for years, and the owner's manual specs 5W20 through 10W30. With almost 170,000 miles, my engine is running as strong as it did at 20,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back