4L80E groove to smooth drum year change?

@clinebarger Do you know when the change from grooved to smooth drum happened? Any 4L80E drum produced in 1995 is smooth, correct? Or did the change occur mid year in 95? Groove reverse bands have been OOS for awhile now as I understand. Only smooth bands are available and can’t be used on a grooved drum is what I read.

Also have you seen issues with filters as of late? A guy had a no pressure issue and turned out to be a defective filter. I guess they will need the ol blow test before installing lol.

Pretty sure in was a running change for 1995, Meaning both smooth & grooved Reaction Carriers were used. Grooved Carriers are too soft to use with a High Energy "smooth" Band.

I've had to use either Good Used TH400 Bands Or have one Relined when using Grooved Carriers.

Are you running Delco filters (Made by Filtran)?

Ah, was hoping all 95 were smooth. Yes using AC Delco filters. Haven't seen one bad myself but others have reported some issues.

If someone uses a smooth BW band on a grooved carrier, I'm assuming it won't last very long?
Front planets that use a sprag with no legs and the spacer are always grooved, correct?
Any luck with the TCI 225105 relined Kevlar's on grooved carriers? The TCI one doesn't even look grooved in the picutres. I've read that relined are hit or miss... This one from Automax is a relined grooved kevlar.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Back