4l60e NAPA Gold Transmission Filter Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum has been a well of knowledge for me, and it is all free. I have saved thousands on repairs thanks to all of you on this forum providing advice and the know how. I have taken this truck across the country several times without any problems while towing upwards of 5,000 pounds. I wouldn't have known about all the preventative maintenance vehicles require, and the truck just keeps on going because of the help from this forum. So I thank all of you for that, and I want to give back to those who may have a similar setup as me.

I've got a 1997 GMC 5.7 with about 257000 miles on the original transmission. I put the external filter setup on it at about 200,000 miles. This filter has about 30,000 miles on it with quite a bit of idle time too. I believe the 4l60e has lasted this long because of this extra filtration by the NAPA Gold, and from the tru-cool transmission cooler and Maghytec deep pan. The media looked pretty good at 30,000 miles. I think I will push it to 40 or maybe 50. I have included pics of it torn open and the external mount.

The engine had the headgaskets replaced at 200,000 miles along with the intake gaskets. The heads were rebuilt as well. The lower end is untouched. It has had a diet of everything from Valvoline Nexgen 5w30/10w30/10w40, German Castrol 0w30 , Mobil 1 0w30 AFE, Mobil 1 15w50, and Napa synthetic 15w50. I am currently using 15w50. Southern Texas heat is no joke.

NAPA Gold with a (I think) derale transmission mount. I used 3 flat washers and drilled into the plastic radiator/fan cover.

I placed a magnet on the bottom of the filter. It trapped visible amounts of ferrous material. Less material the filter has to deal with.

The magnet did its job.

The media looked pretty good.

Hope this information was helpful.

UPC Number: 765809516229
Style: Spin-On Transmission Filter
Service: Transmission
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 5.216 (132)*
Outer Diameter Top: 3.691 (94)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 7-9
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 500
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 28

The washers are a good idea.

Do you have any photos of how it's plumbed into the system? I'll have to recheck, but it looks like my truck uses hard lines.

Interesting. I've long poohed on the idea of a magnet on the outside, but clearly this worked. The larger debris might have been caught by the filter media, but I bet there is small stuff also caught here.

No problem. So I do not have any pictures of the plumbing, but I kept the original transmission cooler up front and installed another by tru cool. Also kept the radiator transmission cooler plumbed in. I used hydraulic/transmission lines to handle the pressure.

This is the derale mount I used: Derale 25709 Remote Filter Mount Kit. This mount works with the NAPA 1622.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XOQ0GM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back