4k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I will start with the fact that I am super old school when it comes to oci I usually do 3k. After reading some threads I have been considering going to 4k oci. What do you guys think, I have a 08 Honda CRV and a 06 Toyota Yaris and usually go with conventional YB or valvoline 5w20 which ever is on sale and use conv puralator or if pure one is on sale I pick up that one, this is mainly on the crv. On the Yaris conv yb or valvoline 5w30 and also Puralator conv, pure one or oem. What do you guys think, I keep cars for a looooong time, will this new oci affect my longterm engine life?

How long is your daily trips ? If most your trips are under 10 miles and/or it takes you 6 months to accumulate 4k miles, then 4k OCI is reasonable.

On the other hand, if your trips are more than 10 miles and/or you can drive 4k miles in 3-4 months then you can extend your OCI to 6-7k miles.

My comute in th eYaris is very short and I half of it on my bicycle, maybe 1-2 miles. I put more miles in the weekends. But my wife CRV will have a longer commute and maybe 15 miles but in traffic and hilly roads.

I would just follow the recommended OCI found in the vehicles' owner's manuals'. When I was using conventional oil, I always changed my oil every 3,000 miles no matter what. Now I use Mobil 1 and I change my wife's Malibu at 5k as listed in her manual. I also use Mobil 1 in my F150. But I will still probably change that somewhere between 3-4k miles, whenever it's convenient to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back