4k OCI w/ maxlife dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past 10 years the idea of 3k oci's have been drilled into my head. I want to take baby-steps into longer OCI's.

Right now in my 2002 4cyl.GM sonoma I am using dino maxlife 5w30. However, I have heard lots of bad things about valvoline here ( "weak add pack") and want to know if dino maxlife can go to 4k miles.

I did check the UOA's but most of them were SL or syn, so an accurate comparison isnt really possible.

I do a mix of driving sometimes its all highway, others is 50/50 city/highway. The manual says to change the oil every 3-7.5k miles.

So, what are your thoughts, opinions, theories, ect...Perhaps one day I will get up to 10k miles OCI, but for now Ill take babysteps.

Thanks.

4k would be a safe and sure step in curing the fears that have been conditioned into you by marketing. It is a very safe distance with a modern engine oil.

I believe with most driving practices 5000-7500 are safe with maxlife. I've gone 4000 and the UOA turned out perfectly fine.

I think the 5-7000 mi OCIs are OK. We have a lot of dirt roads in Michigan, if you do frequent them, I would stay with 5000 mi OCIs and more frequent air filter changes too.

3K OCIs are tough habits to change for me. I have a tough time doing 5K. Can't wait that long, I get "jumpy".
128.gif
burnout.gif

Maxlife is a great oil. The only Valvoline I recall being said to have a weak add pack is All Climate. I would run the Maxlife 5000 miles. If you then do a UOA and it shows good you might get 7500 miles out of it. Depends on type of driving to some extent. I had Maxlife in my motorhome 4400 miles in two weeks and I had Maxlife in my motorhome 4000 miles in 13 months. Oil looked great at the end both times. This was SL of course, but SM is about the same except for less zddp but a nice slug of moly added to the SM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back