46-year-old gymnast Oksana Chusovitina gets standing ovation after competing in her eighth Olympic Games

Interesting story. A shame the Olympics have been politicized.
As it took 3 posts for someone to post political commentary.

On review I've decided to reopen this topic.

Folks please keep the conversation free from political commentary, I'd rather not have to lock this again.

Interesting story. A shame the Olympics have been politicized.
As it took 3 posts for someone to post political commentary.

On review I've decided to reopen this topic.

Folks please keep the conversation free from political commentary, I'd rather not have to lock this again.

I apologize to the moderators and the members. It was my fault, and I know better.

That said, I didn't include any athlete's names, or mention any specific teams, or any of their particular causes. I simply pointed out that it is happening.

The story I read about Oksana that wasn't mentioned in this article is that she went out of retirement and immigrate to Germany because she needed the help financially and medical treatment for her son. It was not a light hearted decision for her but for her son she need to do it. She and her husband (another olympic athlete) sold their home and still couldn't come up with the money needed for their son's medical treatment.

Once her son was treated she moved back because she felt like she owe her former team an olympic medal. She did an amazing job toughing it out for so many years, despite pushing beyond her physical limit for so long. This IMO is the real hero of this year's olympic game, and a mom we can all look up to.

Please don't make this political again.

Back