$4500 Credit for trade-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught a little news item that is in the bowels of Congress as I write. Seems like the prez wants to offer owners of "clunkers" a rebate of up to $4500 toward the purchase of something new. (Green probably)
If someone is looking to get rid of a guzzler and buy new, it might be profitable to see what comes out of this.

Yeah, well you can negotiate better than that off most any vehicle now anyway. I got about $8,000 off my T4R last November with the rebate. I saw some Dodge Ram trucks 50% off this week.

I remember looking at a 2006 Mustang GT in December 2005, they wanted $29,600

In February 2006 we were down to $27,000

In August 2006 we were down to $25,000

In November 2006 we were down to $24,000

I told them in the 1st week of December 2006 that I would take the car for $23,000, they said no, I went ahead and picked up an 04 Mercury Marauder for $20,000 and when I got the car home they called me and said we can do $23,000

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Caught a little news item that is in the bowels of Congress as I write. Seems like the prez wants to offer owners of "clunkers" a rebate of up to $4500 toward the purchase of something new. (Green probably)

What if I want to take a clunker off someone's hands? Will the government give me something, too?

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
If someone is looking to get rid of a guzzler and buy new, it might be profitable to see what comes out of this.

Last I heard, it didn't pass because too many people would buy a new gas guzzler that had worse MPG than what they were going to trade in.
If this ever comes into law, I suspect it would compare to something like the "employee pricing" program that was out awhile back. In the final sales, you really didn't save any money and it was just a ploy to get potential buyers into the dealership.

Whenever I see the final statistics to a government program, why is it always a big waste of money? It doesn't matter if it's digital to analog TV converter boxes or houses for the hurricane victims, the American tax payer gets shafted.

The government is good for giving you a lot of things, depending on what you have or do. I always enjoyed the farmer in the interview saying "the gov't pays me for not growing beans in this field, tobacco in that field, and for not growing ..."
In the seventies, there was a gov't program for immunization from something, lots of deaths occurred, and maybe that won't be something we do for a while.
Amazing how the G thinks it can spend my money better than me. More amazing is how many people believe that is not a joke.
I don't want to get political and get scolded or banned, etc...
so suffice to say the "clunker" thing is up for vote and we can keep an eye on the results, or lack of.
To answer your questions directly, Dunno, but I thought you had to own the clunker for over a year. Second question - you can count on your gov giving you something. From a hearty handshake to a tax increase in some form.
I live in Crook County, believe me I know how it "works".

Kruse - I hope you're right.
To quote Mel Brooks as the governor in "Blazing Saddles",
"Hrmph, Hrmph, We must do something to justify our do nothing jobs. Hrmph. Hrmph".
I should say paraphrase not quote.

Right, wrong, or indifferent -- it is nevertheless an interesting idea. I'm not too big on "social engineering", but I have to admit, the idea of society giving an incentive to get older, dirtier, and less-safe vehicles off the road is an interesting one. Nobody has any problem with the idea of removing criminals from the street because they are dangerous. Why not give an incentive (not forcibly remove) to take older, dirtier, less-safe cars off the road?

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Whenever I see the final statistics to a government program, why is it always a big waste of money? It doesn't matter if it's digital to analog TV converter boxes...

That's actually a break even to profit for the gov't as they'll auction off part of the old analog TV spectrum to cellphone companies... then they'll tax that cell phone service.

Our "air"... they just get to divvy it up and count the $$$.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Why not give an incentive (not forcibly remove) to take older, dirtier, less-safe cars off the road?

We have one already, it's called an emissions test.

I never realized my 91 Marquis was such a smoke belcher. I thought that tailpipe emissions were cleaned up pretty well by then. It's fuel injected, has lots of electronic engine controls, including O2 sensors, catalytic converters, and a smog pump. And it has lots of safety features, including dual air bags.

Oh, wait a minute, the program is designed for removing gas pigs off the road, not for emission purposes.

If you remove the gas pigs you remove the CO2 output which is equal in all engines based only on displacement and efficiency as 1 gallon of gasoline emits the same amount of CO2 no matter what kind of engine you burn it in.

That's actually one version of the Bill that is being considered. Interestingly, one version of the Bill would make it possible to qualify for credit toward a new 14 mpg Hummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back