433000 miles on PYB Straight 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who all uses straight-weight oils?

I am curious because we had a gentleman at the dealership recently that has 456000 miles on his 1999 5.3L Silverado. He bought the truck at 23000 miles.

I had to ask what oil he used and he responded without hesitation "Pennzoil Straight 30, from the minute I got it home and changed it out." he added "It doesn't leak and and I don't have to add between changes." I asked how often he changed it... he goes by the OLM... "the light comes on and says to change it I do it within a 100 miles of that" he said.

As an aside he hot shot tows with the truck and told me he had to do a fuel pump at about 200000 miles and replace the 3rd and 4th gear in the automatic at 400000 but otherwise, and with the exception of maintenance items, it is original. No motor work or u-joints or coils or anything else that would be justifiable given the mileage.

I can confirm that after sitting for a few hours the truck fired up with no smoke and ran smooth as glass. Tail pipe was clean and no leaks underneath.

High mileage engines are becoming more common with modern oils and engineering and I'll admit I was most impressed with the transmission. He said he changes that every 50K or so. Fluid and filter and adamant that avoiding flushes was key...

Anyways, I guess on his long highway runs the straight weight worked fine but it peaked my curiosity on the whole. However, almost a half million miles is impressive and the next time Im agonizing in the oil aisle Ill think of that truck and the fact that its owner used the old straight oil my grandparents used.

That's amazing!
thumbsup2.gif
I'm actually pretty impressed to hear he goes by the OLM - finally somebody who reads his manual and doesn't go with that 3,000 mile/3 month nonsense.

I was impressed by that as well. We get allot of people that are scared to go the distance but many more that don't give it a second thought. I think allot of people use the OLM they just don't agonize about it like we (BITOGers) would.

Where is he finding straight 30 anymore? It's all but disappeared in my area. I was looking for some for my lawnmower, and had to go to three Walmarts before I finally found some.

That's great!!

Remember, he's in Texas, much less of a need for a 5-30.........

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
That's great!!

Remember, he's in Texas, much less of a need for a 5-30.........

+1 Exactly what I was thinking. But still impressive, so much for Pennzoil and wax/sludge!

I think a straight weight oil is the best thing to use in an always warm climate. Less in it to break down with age. I don't think I'd be doing my motor any favours using it here in Canada though. "Always warm" season, also known as "Road construction season" is barely 3 months here.

Thats awesome, the straight 30 is probaly good in Texas but not where I live, I like the part about going by the OLM,, I still cant bring myself to go the whole distance on the Malibu but I know I am wrong.

Originally Posted By: pidster
I think a straight weight oil is the best thing to use in an always warm climate. Less in it to break down with age. I don't think I'd be doing my motor any favours using it here in Canada though. "Always warm" season, also known as "Road construction season" is barely 3 months here.

My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
...that has 456000 miles on his 1999 5.3L Silverado.

Wow. That "piston slap" is a killer. A real death sentence...
smirk2.gif

It is fine to go with straight weights, when one can. However, a lot of folks simply can't.

He hot-shot tows with what transmission in O/D? Got 400,000 out of a GM automatic? Has to be a 4L80E or 4L60/65E? Sorry, I gotta call bull on that one-those GM (not Allison) trannys are WEAK with any load at all-unless he is the easiest driver on the planet!

I doubt he tows much in OD or it can't be very heavy unless he's running 4.56 gear, etc. The 4l60E/4L65E is not a bad tranny, no 1/2 ton tranny will hold up to lots of towing in OD. My 4L60E in my 94 was going strong at 160K with lots of towing until my trans cooler in my radiator got a hole in it and got water in my tranny and washed out the clutches. The LSx series motors are awesome engines...

He uses jiffylube so I would assume that is his source for the straight weight. It is fairly easy to find down here however.

It is the 4L60e which is why I was impressed. It is usually a 200000 mile trans at most but we have seen some hang out. His son in law is our transmission tech and the truck was bought here pre-owned so I'm sure we would know if it had been replaced but all experiences vary. If you can keep it cool it can grab some longevity.

That '99 OLM system is old and crude.
It actually is based on 3k oil changes for severe [actually quite normal] use, and 7,500 max.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/77/gm%27s-oil-life-system-improves-timing-of-oil-change

The success here is an engine with a lot of miles.
What are the downsides? Well, the engine could have actually been in better shape with 5-30 than straight 30. We'll never know. There had to be some power and gas mileage hit, also.
Highway miles are easy miles. The easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back