401 K took a beating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst week in 35 years for mine.
I haven't finalized my beating but at first glance it looks like I lost the value of 2 really nice new half tons.
Seems like a scam of biblical proportions.
I can't even fathom how many trillions in 401k's are sitting as prime prey!
This is what sucks about having a giant 401k any thing happens and you cannot react fast enough then when you do it changes in the other direction and you can't react fast enough. After this deal I'm done at 29,000 if it ever makes it back there
How's yours doing

I think you are going to see a flood of people pulling their investments out of the market in the next couple of days, it is going to be a major crash like the Great Depression.

High risk - all 3 funds
Now I just watched on fox that all or most of our antibiotics are made in China. What the [censored] how dammed dumb are we?

Originally Posted by AC1DD
I think you are going to see a flood of people pulling their investments out of the market in the next couple of days, it is going to be a major crash like the Great Depression.

I'm going to make that decision tomorrow.

Is it allowed to shut the markets down and let this cool off?

What age bracket are you in?

Just for comparison, I am invested in 24 different mutual funds and ETFs. The breakdown is 64% equities, 29% fixed income, 5% liquid alts and the rest is cash. These instruments cover everything globally from small cap to large cap, AAA bonds to high yield, and everything in between. I am in my sixties.

My investments are down 1.99% for the year to date.

Diversity is key.
I moved a large portion to cash (2.35 APR CD) because of the midterm election results.
Purchased two rentals with cash a few years back. RE prices have gone up and
I make +/- 8% on the rental income. Been through a beating in 2000/2008.
79 k died from the flu in 18 in the US.
The media is way ahead of itself on this virus.
I've seen them do the same when predicting the next "Blizzard".
In closing .... Chance favors those prepared.

The old people need to worry less about their investments and more about exposure to the virus itself. If the information out there is close to the truth, than the majority of deaths are for those of us over 50. Can't spend it if you're dead. Interesting times ahead. may be prudent to avoid unnecessary contact with other folks and wash your hands with hot water and soap multiple times a day. Here's a stock tip. Clorox

I'm down 3.6% YTD. 84% stock, 12% bond, value fund the rest. Everyone is taking a hit. O&G and company i work for do as bad as never before. Life is great but no idea what it will look like tomorrow

It's too late to make changes anyways. The market already has shed the fear.

I doubt it will go -1,000 from here on out, but it is overdue for a correction, the markets were totally overvalued.
Still waiting to buy some $500/oz gold.

The survivalist food supply places are making some serious coin. Here on out it will normalize.... Oh I am not a professional financial planner, my advice is for entertainment purposes only.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
I just got this feeling that we are getting gamed here.
After reading the story about the creeps that got busted doing the hyper nano trading out of a building next to the exchange. No trust after that deal!

Not so sure Vern. According to quite a few the market is still overvalued. Nobody wanted out, out of fear it would keep going up. Now that it is going down another fear has taken hold and I think you very well might see a bit more selling.

No matter how many times they drop that dead cat off of the 20th floor roof, it doesn't seem to want to bounce.

I pulled my daughter's college fund out of the market two months ago. I figured the market was over valued and there's enough money to cover the expenses of college so let's go safe. My mutual funds are getting slapped around but I'll sit tight I'm in for the long haul.

Originally Posted by P10crew
I just got this feeling that we are getting gamed here.
After reading the story about the creeps that got busted doing the hyper nano trading out of a building next to the exchange. No trust after that deal!

How are you getting gamed? Markets go up, and markets go down. If you play the long game you win. If you get all full panic mode every time the market drops a bit, you will lose.

I sold most of my stocks last week as part of my risk mitigation plan. Still took a beating. Moved my 401k to a bond fund on Tuesday. That saved me a little. Had a stop limit order on my APPL and sold most of that at $310. It's really getting beat up.

I haven't finalized my beating but at first glance it looks like I lost the value of 2 really nice new half tons.
This is what sucks about having a giant 401k any thing happens and you cannot react fast enough then when you do it changes in the other direction and you can't react fast enough. After this deal I'm done at 29,000 if it ever makes it back there
How's yours doing

How's yours doing
I haven't noticed you posted anything when it was going through the roof funny how you want to rip on it when it takes a little correction.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

I'm going to make that decision tomorrow.

Is it allowed to shut the markets down and let this cool off?

I think what's kept the US markets from plunging ever further has been the PPT but this is going to free fall and there is no way they can hide it now.

I was talking to my Dad a week ago and after reading alternative media (more truth) he's pull out most of his investments. I'd give things a week before a crash maybe two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back