-40 Celsius and 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here is the Mobil SDS for 0w30. They didn't say what the CCS Viscosity was. Their MRV Viscosity was a bit lower but what the hey, let's look at pour point. -51 vs -50 for a Pennzoil win.

Mobil 0w30 SDS.PNG

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
And here is the Mobil SDS for 0w30. They didn't say what the CCS Viscosity was. Their MRV Viscosity was a bit lower but what the hey, let's look at pour point. -51 vs -50 for a Pennzoil win.

We know the M1's CCS viscosity had to be 6200 cP or less at -35C since it is a 0WXX...even right at 6200 it's less than 7% higher that the LX result.
Based on comments by Shannow, the lower MRV result for the M1 suggests that it has less pour point depressant than the LX unless its CCS viscosity is much lower than 5800. Shannow suggested the the ratio of MRV to CCS viscosity would be 2 for an oil with no PPD.
Multiple discussions on here have established that pour point has little to do with getting a car started in the cold. We see plenty of 5W30s with super low pour points, but they are still 5Ws and will not outperform a 0W in extremely cold conditions.

It's currently -33 F in Edmonton, a city of over a million people. That's a lot of block heaters.
laugh.gif

Good thing they have plenty of solar and wind power generation. ...‚...‚

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

We know the M1's CCS viscosity had to be 6200 cP or less at -35C since it is a 0WXX...even right at 6200 it's less than 7% higher that the LX result.
Based on comments by Shannow, the lower MRV result for the M1 suggests that it has less pour point depressant than the LX unless its CCS viscosity is much lower than 5800. Shannow suggested the the ratio of MRV to CCS viscosity would be 2 for an oil with no PPD.
Multiple discussions on here have established that pour point has little to do with getting a car started in the cold. We see plenty of 5W30s with super low pour points, but they are still 5Ws and will not outperform a 0W in extremely cold conditions.

The older, pre-Dexos GM manuals tended to call for either 0W-30 or synthetic 5W-30 in colder conditions. I.E I think it was -20F/-29C. I am surprised they don't offer a 0W-30 syn though...

Pour point is irrelevant, I'm surprised at the difference in MRV (pumpability) however.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It's currently -33 F in Edmonton, a city of over a million people. That's a lot of block heaters.
laugh.gif

LMAO!!!

This was Alberta yesterday. Wind was completely AWOL:
[Linked Image]

This was also the case, all the way across the other end of the country, in coastal Nova Scotia:
[Linked Image]

When I was looking up numbers for 5w30 oils for my G2 3.5L Ecoboost from UOA/VOA I found some on CCS and MRV.

CCS -30c
  • Quaker S UD 3800
  • AmsOil SS 3968
  • PUPP 4000
  • PPPP 4480
  • Castrol Edge 5800
  • Valvoline Full SYN 6000
  • Ford Motorcraft SynBlend 6191

Not everyone lists the CCS and the numbers are drastically higher when you drop to -35c.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
laugh.gif

LMAO!!!

This was Alberta yesterday. Wind was completely AWOL...

Way to drop the ball WIND POWER!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by nlife
When I was looking up numbers for 5w30 oils for my G2 3.5L Ecoboost from UOA/VOA I found some on CCS and MRV.

CCS -30c
  • Quaker S UD 3800
  • AmsOil SS 3968
  • PUPP 4000
  • PPPP 4480
  • Castrol Edge 5800
  • Valvoline Full SYN 6000
  • Ford Motorcraft SynBlend 6191

Not everyone lists the CCS and the numbers are drastically higher when you drop to -35c.

CCS and MRV roughly double/halve for every 5C increment. CCS is typically why a 5w-30 is a 5w-30 and not a 0w-30.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
"Carbon intensity in the last 24 hours"...?

POLITICS.

Emissions intensity isn't political
lol.gif

Pour point is irrelevant, I'm surprised at the difference in MRV (pumpability) however.

Pour point is irrelevant until we talk -40 and lower.

I guess if you can't pour the oil into your oil burning engine then pour point matters.

It's not relevant for what happens inside the motor.

I guess if you can't pour the oil into your oil burning engine then pour point matters.

I understand gravity measurement, but at that temperature that is only measurement we have among these oils.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I understand gravity measurement, but at that temperature that is only measurement we have among these oils.

-5W measured at -45C and -40C respectively? LOL!!

Originally Posted by edyvw

-5W measured at -45C and -40C respectively? LOL!!

OK, you got me here. LOL

At those kinds of temps and even before that it just makes good sense to take proactive measures like a block or pan heater along with other actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back