4 wheel brake/rotor job, nuke brand new rotor

Status
Not open for further replies.
[censored] [censored] [censored]!

2008 Town and Country, already [censored] on brakes.

I swore I got all of the air out of the sliders after I re-greased and re-assembled. I've done this properly too many times to mess it up. apparently I didn't.

I bet that rotor was a glorious orange disk as I sped down the highway on my test run. Now it's a discolored, glazed, boat anchor.

I disassembled and re-packed the pins, and now there's no more drag, but the damaage is done. I have to replace the rotor.

Bummer. It happens.

I have to wonder if a shop would not have had the same problem. We were upset when our Camry ate a brake pad; I wound up replacing all four (why not? can't buy just one pad). You wouldn't think it'd have problems inside of 2 years, but there you go.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
In my experience it's not the sliders that hang up but the piston inside the caliper.

Same, but in this case the outside pad was the one dragging. The inner side of the rotor looks barely touched aside from heat discoloration, but on the outer edge the drag is obvious...

Front or rear? Our '08 T&C had all new rear brakes at about 30K miles, then again at near 60K miles. The first time was at the dealer, they replaced calipers, rotors, pads. The second time, did it myself, replaced rotors and pads. The caliper brackets are poorly machined and the pad can stick. Grind down the pad ears a bit until they slide in the bracket. It's a known problem with early 5th gen T&C's, known to all except Chrysler dealers that is who will give you that all innocent "never seen that before" look and a large invoice.

Front, but I did notice how tight the fit was. I filed the paint off the earss and greased the bushings so they slid freely there.

BE sure to "burp" the boots on the brackets by pinching the boots. If you do not let all of the air out, I would imagine that some issues would result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back