4 stroke bike oils in cars?

There is a new trend in another forum. This is: Why not use a 4 stroke motorcycle oil in a car?

The postive points should be:
- Better VI improvers, more shearstable, better addtive package (meant for gear lubriaction, to - better EP additives) and generally more robust base oils and so on.

In short, a high quality motorcycle oil should work well in a car that is driven hard and sporty, better than a average car oil. Especially in engines with timing chain.
Or you could mix it with you car oil, to boost it up, as some kind of additive.

I read often that you schould not use Motorcycle oils in cars, but if i remember correctly the reasons explained dont convince me. I am shure that most bike oils today should also be safe for use with a catalytic converter.

Any thoughts or input to this?

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
... I am shure that most bike oils today should also be safe for use with a catalytic converter. ...

Wouldn't that all depend on the specific motorcycle oil? Some are loaded up with ZDDP.

You are not supposed to use automotive oils in a motorcycle as they use a wet clutch where the engine oil surrounds and lubricates the clutch plates. If you use automotive oil in a motorcycle there is a possibility the clutch will slip. I don't think you want motorcycle oil in an automobile engine.

"In short, a high quality motorcycle oil should work well in a car that is driven hard and sporty, better than a average car oil. Especially in engines with timing chain."

In short.. API SN does everything you want and more.. even turbos.

You guys in the other forum should look more towards Porsche A40 oils instead of motorcycle oils.. the guys at Porsche Engineering know a little about driving hard and sporty.

i am not a member anymore in the other forum, just a reader. For a reason.

But the idea and reasoning about bike oils get me hooked a little bit.
wink.gif

Ahh, the picture of the motorcycle on the bottle. Fools the fool every time.

If You have a 60's muscle car and you want a high(er) ZPD lube you can buy off the shelf for a reasonable price?

Many 4T or ATV 10w40 fit the bill.

Its API S rated . 4 stroke spark ignition.

Before EXxon change the formula, M1 Racing 4T was one of best oils you could buy.

Many Euro oils are Long life, so they have a compromise. of wear for high detergency.

Recall The Beloved R T6 was a motorcycle oil. and a few other things too.

CASTROL Power 1 4T

Application
Exceeds industry specifications API SL and JASO MA-2 standards.
Typical Characteristics
Name Method Units Typical Values
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.85
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 13.3
Viscosity, CCS -25C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 4649
Viscosity, MRV / Yield Stress -30C (10W) ASTM D4684 mPa.s (cP) 16148
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 83.05
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 155
Noack Volatility CEC L-40-A-93 % Loss 6.11
Viscosity, HTHS 150C CEC-L-36-A97 cP 3.679
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -33

Where I live ( Canada), a 4.8 L jug of Mobil 1 0w40 FS car oil will cost about $ 32.00 CDN on sale. Roughly $ 6.66 per litre.

A litre of Mobil 1 10w40 4T motorcycle oil will cost you about $ 17.00 per litre ...

I have used the 10w40 4T oil in a previous car. It worked just fine. I did get it for free, however ...

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
What about motorcycle oil in splash lubricated OPE like a generator?

Would probably work fine, burt since they sit a lot, i run a high tbn diesel oil, amsoil hdd 5w 30 in mine.

only oils of 30w hot and lower must use additives not suited to some motorcycles as NOT all motorcycles use a shared oil supply. only a few smaller motorcycles spec a xxw30 oil the rest are xxw40-50 or even 60, like when you say harley, motorcycle oils cost 2 to 3 times more in the same classification. if you want better and dont mind the cost just use the correct redline REAL synthetic for your application!

I used the Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil in my old ‘04 Forester. I had a stash of it I bought on clearance. Worked well, no issues I know of.

During my turbocharged race car days, I'd typically use Mobil 1, 15W-50. However, M1 V-Twin 20W-50 did provide a bit more oil pressure during 100 degree track days.

No issues at all with the motorcycle oil in automotive use.

What is tipical TBN level of motocycle oils? I would guess that it is lower from PCMO oil since it is intended for only seasonal use...

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
What is tipical TBN level of motocycle oils? I would guess that it is lower from PCMO oil since it is intended for only seasonal use...

The Castrol semi-synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil VOA linked to previous shows:
Moly 50ppm, Boron 60ppm and Zinc 1000 ppm with a great TBN of 9.3

For me a motorcycle is not seasonal, it was my only transport for years on end and 365 days per year, I was on my third bike before I got my first car.

Motorcycle oil is certainly not made for seasonal use ! I use my odds for top ups in my car - last one was a litre of Penrite VTwin 20-50, and before that a litre of Penrite mineral motorcycle 20-50. I'm trying my hardest, but whatever I put in the Volvo, it just keeps going.

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
There is a new trend in another forum. This is: Why not use a 4 stroke motorcycle oil in a car?

The postive points should be:
- Better VI improvers, more shearstable, better addtive package (meant for gear lubriaction, to - better EP additives) and generally more robust base oils and so on.

In short, a high quality motorcycle oil should work well in a car that is driven hard and sporty, better than a average car oil. Especially in engines with timing chain.
Or you could mix it with you car oil, to boost it up, as some kind of additive.

I read often that you schould not use Motorcycle oils in cars, but if i remember correctly the reasons explained dont convince me. I am shure that most bike oils today should also be safe for use with a catalytic converter.

Any thoughts or input to this?

The important fact here is wether or not the motorcycle oil you are looking it is for a WET clutch bike or a DRY clutch bike. BIG differences in formulation, we should only use DRY CLUTCH bike oil in cars.

Back