4 quarts dino,2 quarts synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 F150,4.2V6,96K miles
I was thinking of making my own blend.My engine holds 6 quarts of oil and I was thinking of using 4 quarts dino,2 quarts synthetic.I usually use Chevron Supreme or Havoline 10W30.What would be a good synthetic to add to these? Any opinions on my idea?
dunno.gif

In my 4.2 I'm using 5 qts Havoline 10w30 and 1 1/2 qts Havoline synthetic 10w30. It's difficult to read the dipstick so I try to keep an extra 1/2 qt in there. I will be doing the UOA on that in 2 weeks.

I'd say Mobil 1 might be a good mix in synthetic. Royal Purple may be very good, but it irks me that they tint the stuff--an unnecessary ingredent? May want to avoid the CAFE friction modified (reduced protection? and another unnecessary ingredient) energy conserving oils. I'm thinking of doing a similar mix, but I will be using Valvoline Maxlife (soon as the full synthetic version hits the shelves). Probably 1 qt synth since regular Maxlife has 12-22% synthetic already.

[ February 22, 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
In my 4.2 I'm using 5 qts Havoline 10w30 and 1 1/2 qts Havoline synthetic 10w30. It's difficult to read the dipstick so I try to keep an extra 1/2 qt in there. I will be doing the UOA on that in 2 weeks.

Why an extra 1/2 quart? Isn't there a good chance that the crank will just pick it up and beat it into a foam?

I think blending can have it's rewards and risks.

Not sure the comment about RP. "Nothing but good..." more like ambigous at best. I don't have anything against RP, but it doesn't seem any more magical than the other synthetics.

1/2 a quart extra isn't enough to make crank contact in just about every engine out there.

I say use a heavy additized synthetic such as Redline. You are on your own.

I think your ratio of Mobil to Dino is too low.

My argument if indeed you want a custom home blend just 2qts may result in a synthetic blend that is even more PAO/Ester dilute than something like Shaeefers which is an engineered blend bearing a hire synthetic percent by volume over your cocktail.

In addition the Shaeffers is a very fair price,

Food for thought.

(by the way, my blends are at least 50% M1 to dino)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back