4 of my cars use 5w30-Can I standardize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 kids w cars so my fleet is up to 5 now. 4 of the cars recommend 5w/30. Can I standardize them all to the same oil? The Penzoil Euro 5w/30 w the BMW LL01 (ACEA A3/B3) certification looks like a deal at $21 for 5 quarts. My four 5w30 cars are:
1) 2010 Ford Mustang 4.0L v6 w 110k. No oil consumption
2) 2011 Mazda CX-9 w a Ford DOHC 3.7L v6-135k. Burns a quart every 4-5000 miles
3) 2015.5 Volvo 2.0l turbo w factory defective rings. 100k. Heavy oil consumption (Volvo has their own certification and/or ACEA A5/B5 that several mechanics have told me not to worry about)
4) 2009 BMW 328i 3.0l 6cyl with 120k. Newest car to the fleet. Minimal or no oil consumption.

Would the Pennzoil Euro be a good choice for all of the cars? Any cons to the Penzoil Euro BMW grade oil going in the Ford V6 engines? Or Volvo? All 4 cars I’ll be changing at a max interval 7500 miles. The Pennzoil price point is attractive. Any other oil you’d recommend to standardize to at a similar price point? Higher price point?

Last edited:
I have 3 kids w cars so my fleet is up to 5 now. 4 of the cars recommend 5w/30. Can I standardize them all to the same oil? The Penzoil Euro 5w/30 w the BMW LL01 (ACEA A3/B3) certification looks like a deal at $21 for 5 quarts. My four 5w30 cars are:
3) 2015.5 Volvo 2.0l turbo w factory defective rings. 100k. Heavy oil consumption (Volvo has their own certification and/or ACEA A5/B5 that several mechanics have told me not to worry about)
4) 2009 BMW 328i 3.0l 6cyl with 120k. Newest car to the fleet. Minimal or no oil consumption.

Would the Pennzoil Euro be a good choice for all of the cars? Any cons to the Penzoil Euro BMW grade oil going in the Ford V6 engines? Or Volvo? All 4 cars I’ll be changing at a max interval 7500 miles. The Pennzoil price point is attractive. Any other oil you’d recommend to standardize to at a similar price point? Higher price point?
If you are talking about Wal mart Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30, it is not LL01, it is LL04.
That oil is lower SAPS. It should be good in all those engines. However, I would do UOA on at least one of them after 5K to see how TBN holds. None of those cars are direct injection so it should be fine.

If you are talking about Wal mart Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30, it is not LL01, it is LL04.
That oil is lower SAPS. It should be good in all those engines. However, I would do UOA on at least one of them after 5K to see how TBN holds. None of those cars are direct injection so it should be fine.
I agree. IMO you'll be fine. The UOA is a good idea, it will eliminate any guessing about how far the oil can go, and how it is holding up.

I would use Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 in all of them, it is often on sale at Napa for under $6 a qt.

You can use 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, dexos 1 – Gen 2, API SN “Plus”, synthetic (green bottle) Rated #4 on the 540 rat blog testing. I use it in my 1992 BMW 850i 2010 Audi Q7 3.6 and 2005 xterra. I previously used 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic but the 5W30 has a higher wear rating. Also about 18 for 5 quarts at Walmart.

The Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is rated 22 in wear rating. The 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, dexos 1 – Gen 2, API SN “Plus”, synthetic (green bottle) is rated 4th in wear rating and is less than $5 a quart.

The Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is rated 22 in wear rating. The 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, dexos 1 – Gen 2, API SN “Plus”, synthetic (green bottle) is rated 4th in wear rating and is less than $5 a quart.
If I remember correctly from yesterday your previous (and first) post on this subject got deleted, didn't it?

But you come here and post two more. How odd.

I still use 0w 40 Castrol even since it has lost LL-01 cert in a 05 325i.
I started using Mobil 1 0w-40 it lost the cert first so I went castrol. Im not switching again. Just running Castrol till the end. It made in Belgium so may be stouter than Mobil 1 now.
I dont like the yellow bottle

If I remember correctly from yesterday your previous (and first) post on this subject got deleted, didn't it?

But you come here and post two more. How odd.
I didn't see any post get deleted. I only made 2 posts prior to this response to you. Why would the posts get deleted?

Interesting, is there any other source with wear ratings.

OEM specifications include Proof of Performance testing and engine tear downs … and of course maintaining performance properties of the lubricant. One common means is/was taxi testing which can be fairly hard duty and the hours get logged within that industry to start with. Oil companies do engine lab tests (dyno).
UOA’s get debated here often - for example is it a wear test or a test to make sure the oil held up to standards

You can use 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, dexos 1 – Gen 2, API SN “Plus”, synthetic (green bottle) Rated #4 on the 540 rat blog testing. I use it in my 1992 BMW 850i 2010 Audi Q7 3.6 and 2005 xterra. I previously used 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic but the 5W30 has a higher wear rating. Also about 18 for 5 quarts at Walmart.
What? I am not sure you have a grip on approvals.

OEM specifications include Proof of Performance testing and engine tear downs … and of course maintaining performance properties of the lubricant. One common means is/was taxi testing which can be fairly hard duty and the hours get logged within that industry to start with. Oil companies do engine lab tests (dyno).
UOA’s get debated here often - for example is it a wear test or a test to make sure the oil held up to standards
Taxi testing will tell you how long the oil lasts. Taxis are run for hours at a time. I am sure we could agree that 90% of the wear happens during start up. Once an engine is up to operating temperature the wear is minimal as long as the oil has not broken down. Running engines for hours and hours will tell you how good the oil holds up. I believe the Rat tests give you an indication of the lubricity of the oil during a cold start where 90% of the wear happens.

Taxi testing will tell you how long the oil lasts. Taxis are run for hours at a time. I am sure we could agree that 90% of the wear happens during start up. Once an engine is up to operating temperature the wear is minimal as long as the oil has not broken down. Running engines for hours and hours will tell you how good the oil holds up. I believe the Rat tests give you an indication of the lubricity of the oil during a cold start where 90% of the wear happens.
90% of wear does not occur at startup. Lubricity is not being measured by Rat. What Rat does on that website is irrelevant and his methodology is fundamentally flawed. Worse than all he does not properly analyze the results. If he did he would see that no oil tests any different than any other oil. All oils give a statistically identical result in that test. But I'm certain you know all this already, don't you?

The end result is that entire website is a massive fail, both of value and time. If he were honest he'd report that all the work he's done is only to show that the test is worthless.

90% of wear does not occur at startup. Lubricity is not being measured by Rat. What Rat does on that website is irrelevant and his methodology is fundamentally flawed. Worse than all he does not properly analyze the results. If he did he would see that no oil tests any different than any other oil. All oils give a statistically identical result in that test. But I'm certain you know all this already, don't you?

The end result is that entire website is a massive fail, both of value and time. If he were honest he'd report that all the work he's done is only to show that the test is worthless.
Indeed. Not only that … taxi testing is followed by 3rd party engine tear downs … Oil companies already have plenty of resources to test how long an oil holds together and what it might deposit on hot metal
Basic intent is to package industry tests with PoP tests until it’s a winner …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back