4-Month Old Oil Before Long Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would change it. Just in case I wanted to extend my trip and then wouldn't have to bother with it.

Last edited:
I have nearly 8 month old oil in the sump of my Acura right now, with less than 3,000 miles on it. I plan on taking a long road trip in the car in the next month or two and I won't be changing it until I get back. That'll put it at around 6,000 miles total, probably. I've never ran any oil in the car past 5,000 miles, but the UOAs came back fine so I think it can handle it. Heck, even in the manual it recommends every 7,500 miles with API SH rated conventional oil, which wasn't quite as good as oil is today. I say leave it in, it'll be fine.

Wow. You would bother worrying about an arbitrary number concerning your engine oil while on vacation. That sucks.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I would change it. Just in case I wanted to extend my trip and then wouldn't have to bother with it.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
The oil in my truck is 4 months old, but only has 2000 miles (I commute on train).
Getting ready to take a round-trip to Arizona and Colorado, and I am inclined to change the oil with fresh TGMO, but leave the filter in place.
I'll probably do some off-roading while out there, but nothing extreme. Just getting to remote trailheads.
Thoughts?

Got two trucks in the sig. Presuming you are taking the Taco. In that case, agree with most. No need to change. Take a few quarts to keep the level up. Make sure fill area is clean, if adding, to reduce dust. Make sure air filter is not leaky.
If it is the Honda, change the ATF, preferably with a suitable synthetic. Consider changing the ATF filter and adding an ATF cooler if not done. But certainly do not use that bad old Z-1 if there is any leftover. Lots of available junkyard Honda engines of that era because the transmissions break so often.

Originally Posted By: thrace
The oil in my truck is 4 months old, but only has 2000 miles (I commute on train).
Getting ready to take a round-trip to Arizona and Colorado, and I am inclined to change the oil with fresh TGMO, but leave the filter in place.
I'll probably do some off-roading while out there, but nothing extreme. Just getting to remote trailheads.
Thoughts?

Got two trucks in the sig. Presuming you are taking the Taco. In that case, agree with most. No need to change. Take a few quarts to keep the level up. Make sure fill area is clean, if adding, to reduce dust. Make sure air filter is not leaky.
If it is the Honda, change the ATF, preferably with a suitable synthetic. Consider changing the ATF filter and adding an ATF cooler if not done. But certainly do not use that bad old Z-1 if there is any leftover. Lots of available junkyard Honda engines of that era because the transmissions break so often.

The Honda is an Odyssey minivan that the wife drives. I have been lucky with the tranny so far. I run Amsoil synthetic ATF in it now. I've read different things about changing the ATF filter - as to whether it is feasible. Probably beyond my skill level, too.

But the engine timing belt slipped at 1,500 miles (not a typo) due to a faulty tensioner. Still po-d at Honda for their attitude about it.

Last edited:
Change it. 5500 miles is a lot of seat time where you will second guess yourself. You'll be able to relax more on your trip.

For the sake of knowing that no matter what, my engine has the very best protection I can give it.....I'd change the oil and filter before the trip.
That's just me however. In reality, it would most likely make no difference. But knowing my comfort zone would be appeased and any inflated concerns lessoned....changing the oil before a trip would make the trip a more pleasant one.

I tend to think this way, except for the filter. I think it will filter better, the more miles it has on it (up to a point, of course).

My truck takes 6.1 qts of oil, so the existing oil that remains in the filter when I drain it is a relatively small amount.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
For the sake of knowing that no matter what, my engine has the very best protection I can give it.....I'd change the oil and filter before the trip.
That's just me however. In reality, it would most likely make no difference. But knowing my comfort zone would be appeased and any inflated concerns lessoned....changing the oil before a trip would make the trip a more pleasant one.

Originally Posted By: speedyb
I would leave the truck at home and fly. Dilemma solved.

Except my pointer dog won't fit under the airline seat...
smile.gif

If you'd have to ask, just go ahead and do it. In reality, it will more then likely be fine but you will have it I. The back of your mind the entire time which will take away from the relaxation of your trip. Honestly, the 40 bucks or whatever it will cost is worth it compared to the stress.

I would leave the oil in there, and pay more attention to the brakes, tires, spare tire, coolant, first aid kit, and cell phone.

Don't waste a good oil. Even the cheapest oil could handle that trip. Actually that trip is alot easier on the oil than any city driving would be. Enjoy the trip!

Hyway miles are easy miles on your engine , I would have no concern .

One thing I noticed when I did a long trip some years back through TX , NM, AZ and back to Ontario was that the auto fluid must have got a bit hot as it was slightly dark and burnt smelling so I serviced it right away . I think the mountain area going north through AZ did it plus I drove up to 14 hours and more a few stretches . I cooked my front brakes as well , I was pushing it and having a bit of fun on the downhill side so my fault for the most part there . The 2000 Taurus had the Duratec engine and the car had low miles at the time so the tranny still had the factory fill . You mentioned using Amsoil ATF , that I would highly recommend and as someone else mentioned check belts and hoses and if so inclined take a spare serpentine belt with you just in case . I have seen those break for no reason .

Last edited:
Your oil will be fine
But if you have to ask this I think you are worried so just change it and have a little less money for vacation

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Maybe a better question is, irrespective of the cost of the oil and the effort involved in changing it (both of which are not a concern to me), which would be better for the engine? Leaving it in, or changing it?

My honest opinion (and that's all it is) is that you have two choices.

1) Do your trip as is
2) Change the oil and filter before your trip

Both in the maintenance history of the vehicle will be imperceptibly different in outcomes...

one may make you feel more secure, so I'd recommend that one, whichever it is.

I see no reasonable logic for changing the oil and keeping the filter if it's Option 1 gives you angst.

Exactly. Prior to joining Bitog I always went by miles and never really cared how long oil sat in the sump. Oil never sat in the sump for more than 18 months in my apps, maybe once it sat for 2 years. Reading UOA reports based on time, my strategy was a sound one. 7,500 miles should be fine, oil was not as good when I joined Bitog as it is today. So I wouldn't worry much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back