4 filters cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, here ive got a fram extra guard, fram extended guard, ac delco, and a super tech. they are all made to fit my 2001 grand prix. i used a hacksaw to cut them open

first is the fram extra guard
fram1.jpg

fram2.jpg

second is the ac delco
acdelco1.jpg

acdelco2.jpg

next we have the super tech, as you can see in the pics, it has like a thin aluminum cover masking it from looking like some other kind of filter
supertech1.jpg

supertech2.jpg

supertech3.jpg

and finally, the fram extended guard. the only used one out of the bunch
exguard1.jpg

exguard2.jpg

E-guard looks O.K. Can you cut off the media from the end caps and calc area in sq-in? This is knowing that a depth media can have a smaller area and be more efficacious.

Last edited:
Nice pics!

boy, you're good. I couldn't post pics at first, and almost 100 posts later, I still cant!

welcome2.gif
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
the extended guard only had about 2000 miles on it. i changed it cuz i wanted to change oils.

arco, are you wanting me to just measure the square inches of it? or something else?

Yeah cut the ends off lay it out and measure how many sq in of media there is. This will be a little low for the ST because some of the end cap acts as media as well.

It looks like Fram didn't believe enough in their card board endcaps that are supposed to be fine to put them on an extended life filter

Quote:
next we have the super tech, as you can see in the pics, it has like a thin aluminum cover masking it from looking like some other kind of filter

That thin plate is to help the installer "feel" the the alignment of the filter hole on the adapter. In the early days of the Ecore, that was not there and the recess is very pronounced causing installers in blind areas to install incorrectly. Bulk of Champion's Ecore sales are to oil jobbers and that was their recommendation and Champion listened.

Still way better than that [censored] Fram cardboard,

Originally Posted By: 72customdeluxe
It looks like Fram didn't believe enough in their card board endcaps that are supposed to be fine to put them on an extended life filter

While I don't like Frams, I have commented recently that the choice to use metal for the extended guard most likely has to do with the three layer filtering media they use. The regular frams all have normal media...just one layer, however the extended guard has a synth and paper layer bonded together, then a metal screen behind that. I think the choice to use metal endcaps was for the deeper valley they could glue the filtering media into. This deeper valley, and hence more glue, probobly allows for some irregularities with this three layer media. I would imagine bonding this same media to a completely flat piece of cardboard would produce the occasional leak. When you only have one sealer surface to worry about, a flat piece of carboard is easy to handle. However, when you have three seperate layers....you need a little wiggle room.
When you look at the extended guard, look at the area where the media bonds to the endcaps. You'll see home much extra room is offered and home much extra glue is used...about 1/4". Now look at the Extra Guard...there is barely 1/16" of glue.

That said, the recommended change interval might have influence the choice as well.

To the original poster. Your car has an internal bypass correct? I don't see the bypass on these filters. If my car didn't have a baypass, I wouldn't mind using the extended guard, assuming I got it for cheap. That said, the extended guard still uses the [censored] clicker bypass (when present) as all the other frams.

Last edited:
thanks for the info hootbro
i have no idea who made the AC. i bought it from the wal mart here in fremont nebraska.

im not too sure what an "internal bypass" is, but if these filters dont have it, i would assume my car doesnt have it. no pieces were left out of the pics.
i suppose if you wanted to do the research its a 2001 grand prix with the non supercharged 3.8

Last edited:
Every engine has 2 bypasses. One at the pump to keep from overloading it or damaging down stream components. it allows oil to return straight tothe crankcase. The second is at the filter. GM puts them in the filter head assembly. Others use filters with a bypass in them. When the oil is too thick to give enough flow through the filter, or the filter is clogged, the oil bypasses the filter media.

Originally Posted By: labman
Any idea who made the AC?

Note, the Extra Guard looked like it had more media than I would expect in a Fram.

Probably Champion Labs. They were a huge supplier for ACDelco brand name.

I remember back when ACDelco filter packages used to have the specific manufacturer if it was in-house GM (or a former subsidiary). I recall either AC Rochester or Delphi Automotive. The ones made by Champion Labs didn't have a manufacturer's name on the package.

I just noticed that the oil entrance stamping on the ST has distorted holes on the ADBV seal side which may make for a bad/non-operating ADBV.

I beg your pardon?

This?

One side of the end plate
supertech1.jpg

As viewed from the other side:

supertech2.jpg

That's an additional plate to aid in installation. The "raised" thread made it difficult to thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back