+4 ATF in a t-case that calls for Mercon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ford explorer with a BW-1354 t-case and I was wondering out loud if I could use +4 in it, owners manual calls for Mercon. I ask because I have lots of the stuff and it would be easier than running to the parts store 45 miles away to get something synthetic.

Find out if Dodge uses the same T-case in a vehicle, and what it spec's, if it specs +3 or +4, you'll be fine.

Yes, you can use it. Any ATF can be used in that Transfer case. I use Mobil 1, but if you have +4, it is better than the Mercon that came with it.

Last edited:
That is fine, there is not a huge difference between the fluids. In fact, if you look back at some of the older Mopars, the Jeeps would call for Merc/Dex and the Dodge would call for +3,+4 even though they are sharing the same NP or NV tcase... I know a few people now that have really been impressed with the BG SynrcoShift 2 in their tcases. It is designed for tcases and manual transaxles. It just seems to me like tcases are pretty hard on ATF. The fluid always looks pretty bad even after shorter intervals. Don't know if the fluid is actually worn out, or just really dirty, but from what I understand, atf is not really great for gear/chains?? and doesn't have much shear stability ? let me know if I'm wrong.

My truck is 2wd..

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
That is fine, there is not a huge difference between the fluids. In fact, if you look back at some of the older Mopars, the Jeeps would call for Merc/Dex and the Dodge would call for +3,+4 even though they are sharing the same NP or NV tcase... I know a few people now that have really been impressed with the BG SynrcoShift 2 in their tcases. It is designed for tcases and manual transaxles. It just seems to me like tcases are pretty hard on ATF. The fluid always looks pretty bad even after shorter intervals. Don't know if the fluid is actually worn out, or just really dirty, but from what I understand, atf is not really great for gear/chains?? and doesn't have much shear stability ? let me know if I'm wrong.

My truck is 2wd..

I agree with everything said here, however last time I changed my Mobile 1 ATF, it came out looking like new after 30K miles. Next change will go 50K miles. Bg fluid may be fine, but keep in mind this is splash lubricated so needs to be thin enough to flow when cold.

Hasn't killed my Festiva's auto transmission yet.. in fact it shifts pretty darn good. Isn't ST Mercon V and ATF 4 now the same product?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

I agree with everything said here, however last time I changed my Mobile 1 ATF, it came out looking like new after 30K miles. Next change will go 50K miles. Bg fluid may be fine, but keep in mind this is splash lubricated so needs to be thin enough to flow when cold.

If look at the viscoity of ATF (just grabbed this quick from valvoline d/m) vs the BG stuff, Im not an expert on this stuff, but how much thinner is the atf actually by these specs?

@ 100 7.46
@ 40 37.1

BG SSII

@ 100 9.25
@ 40 51.52

Originally Posted By: Johnny248

If look at the viscoity of ATF (just grabbed this quick from valvoline d/m) vs the BG stuff, Im not an expert on this stuff, but how much thinner is the atf actually by these specs?

@ 100 7.46
@ 40 37.1

BG SSII

@ 100 9.25
@ 40 51.52

Base oils being equal either viscosity is thin enough to flow at well below )*f. Not a super lot of difference between the two viscosities.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
No. They are completely different fluids, and it probably wouldn't end well.

Wrong. They are not completely different.

Bg fluid may be fine, but keep in mind this is splash lubricated so needs to be thin enough to flow when cold.

A BG 13-54 has a pump driven off the output shaft.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Bg fluid may be fine, but keep in mind this is splash lubricated so needs to be thin enough to flow when cold.

A BG 13-54 has a pump driven off the output shaft.

You are correct, I was thinking of the manual tranny in the Ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back