4.4 liter Chevy in 82 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont know if this is the right section, but here goes. Moderators move as needed. I am looking for a Chevy V-8 engine to use as a teaching tool for my stepson. We would put it on a stand, and take it apart, learn from it, and perhaps rebuild if rebuildable. I was looking at a 82 Malibu Classic with a 4.4 V-8. Doing a search, there was a couple of negative posts about this "orphan" engine, but not much. Anyone want to weigh in on this engine? Would it be worth getting, in hopes of rebuilding/boring to create a decent engine? What parts interchange with it from other Chevy engines? How would the auto trans from this car compare against a
TH-350? Eventually may consider replacing a 350 V-8/TurboHydro-350, with the engine/trans combo from this car. Any ideas?

I have a choice in getting this complete car, in decent shape, or a 305 Chevy V-8 engine only, for about the same money. What would be the better choice?

That's the 267 C.I. V8. Use it to anchor your boat. It's mechanically similar to the rest of the small blocks, but if you want any power whatsoever, swap in a 350 and enjoy your ride. Even a 305 is useless unless you plan on leaving it bone stock. The mod potential is nearly zero, and those mods that you would do, would only possibly make it as quick as a tired old stock 350.

The tranny is probably a TH200 if it's a 3-speed, or possibly a TH700R4 if it's overdrive. The bellhousing is identical to the larger engines. The 200 tranny probably wouldn't hold up to much more torque than the anemic 267 engine produces, so I'd probably suggest a TH350. The driveshaft length and crossmember should be identical.

Then you have gears...
That car probably has about a 2.4x axle ratio. Useless for anything except highway driving. Step up to at least a 3.08, or better yet, a 3.42 ratio. Anything more than that, and you're gonna want overdrive.

A G-body Malibu like this one with a potent 350/TH350 with a 3.42 rear end should run mid 14s in the quarter mile. From there, the sky, and the thickness of your wallet dictate how much further you can go. The small block Chevy is still the cheapest engine to make fast and has the most vast resource of aftermarket parts available for it.

Summit Racing and Jeg's (.com after both for their websites) are going to be two of the best sources for cheap aftermarket parts, both stock replacement, and high performance.

Always remember...There's no replacement for displacement!

G-Bodies were only sold with 200s, both 3 and 4 speed versions, 250s (never seen one myself), and 350 Hydramatics. The 700R4 was reserved for B, and F bodies, Corvettes, as well as trucks. The Monte Carlo SS and Gran Nationals all had 200s.

The only advantage that a 267 has is that it interchanges physically with any other Chevy small block.

Jerry

Hi

quote:

The tranny is probably a TH200 if it's a 3-speed TH200C, or possibly a TH700R4 if it's overdrive.

Yep, TH2004R was likely the ticket for the V8 powertrains in '82. The lowly V6 options in the mid rwd platforms were either the 229 cid chev or buick 231cid (3.8 litre) and all received the TH200C "Metric" slush box.

IIRC, the GM B bodies ( like the the LeSabre, Delta Eighty Eight and Caprice/Impala ) all had as base power the 231 V6 except for the Chevy versions which for awhile had their own 260 cid (4.1 litre?). These carbed V6s all used the TH200C.

All B-bodies had a base engine of the Buick 231 V6 (90 degree) in California from 80-85. The 49 state B-body cars used the Chevy 229 V6 (90 degree) in the Chevy and Pontiac models from 80-84, and then the Chevy 4.3 V6 (F.I. only, 90 degree) from 85 on.

Interestingly enough, there was also a Buick 252 V6 (90 degree) available in both FWD and RWD Cadillacs. Available in some G-bodies too for a few years. This may have been in some B.O.P. B-bodies too, I can't recall.

I think the Chevy 4.3 V6 was the base engine in the 1985 California B-Bodies too, not the 231 V6.

One thing really cool about the G-bodies is that no matter which powertrain you want, there are probably OEM parts to transplant it in. Going back through '78, they were sold with 3 chevy V6s (200, 229, 262), 3 Chevy V8s (267, 305, 350) 2 Buick V6s (231, 252), 6 Olds engines (4.3 60 degree V6, 260 gas/260 diesel, 307, 350 gas/diesel), and 2 Pontiac V8s (265, 301) and some variations in all of these over the years. Might have even been a SB Chevy 400 (police only), and a Buick and Pontiac 350 in 78 and 79.

Every rear drive auto trans except a 400 and 700R4, and a 5 speed too!

A friend had the V8-267 in a Monte Carlo. A real non-performer. Another had a '79 V8-350 Malibu that would boogie.

No choice in my mind as to which I'd get.

The hard part would be in NOT installing a V8-500 Cadillac (longblock weighs only a few pounds more than the 350)
128.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
A friend had the V8-267 in a Monte Carlo. A real non-performer. Another had a '79 V8-350 Malibu that would boogie.

No choice in my mind as to which I'd get.

The hard part would be in NOT installing a V8-500 Cadillac (longblock weighs only a few pounds more than the 350)
128.gif

Check out this video I found on Streetfire.

78 Pontiac Grand Prix with 75 Cadillac 500 V8

Go ahead and get the car and weak motor. Probably been babied with its lack of power. If you tear it apart and it's junk or the project starts dragging on you can drop a bigger junkyard long block in.

The learning experience doesn't need hi-po parts, in fact cheaper is better. Only issue might be stuff is yet more available for the 305. But you'll find what you need for a stock rebuild easily enough.

Chevy small blocks (and big blocks) are all 90 degree engines. The Chevy V6s that are small blocks with 2 cylinders removed (200V6 /267V8, 229V6 /305V8, 262V6 /350V8) are 90 degree as well, but are considered an odd-even fire design, which is a compromise between crank strength and smoothness by partially splitting the crank throws in an attempt to fire 6 cylinders evenly in a 90 degree design.

The other 4 Chevy V6s (2.8, 3.1, both 3.4s, 3.5 - not to be confused with the Shortstar 3.5, which is a Cadillac Northstar short 2 cylinders) are 60 degree engines, so there is no inherent unbalance in the design, except for the leaky LIM
smile.gif

There is also a new 3.9L VVT 60 degree Chevy V6, but it is only a very distant relative to the older ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back