3rd oil change, noticed something different....

been running pennzoil platinum 5w30 in my 2021 ranger xlt. 2.3l ecoboost turbo. I drained the factory fill at 1k. I change every 4-6k.

getting ready to do my 3rd change and walmart was out of most oil except for mobil 1 synthetic . luckily they had 5w30. I figured why not. so I looked for my 910s filter and they didn't have it either. so I grabbed the only one they had for my truck, fram ultra xg3641 rated for 20k miles.

a funny thing happened after I changed oil. my truck became more quiet. ran more smooth than it ever has. what in the world did M1 do differently than my trusty PP didn't? I've used pennzoil for 30yrs. before any of you say its all in my head, I assure you it isn't. there is a very noticeable difference in the way my truck sounds and runs.

how good or bad are the fram ultra synthetic xg filters? I've heard horror stories about fram, but that's been ages ago. this is my first fram. I'm a little nervous about it but this particular xg series has very good reviews.

Yeah that can happen..

My lady's 98 Camry ran really loud on Cam2 Superpromax and Super S. Put in Warren Distribution oil with Federated Auto parts label on it. Camry ran much, much quieter... Hellen Keller would have noticed the difference.

The Fram XG will be a very good filter...

Just a note that the Fram issues is for the Orange can Fram not XG.
Orange can is lowest end, XG is the highest end with TG in the middle.
Even the orange cans are fine, people have been using Fram orange cans for decades without a problem. I'd rather an orange can than a cheap paper champ or ecogard, at least the orange can will actually filter the oil.

fwiw, my 2022 ranger wasnt happy with pennzoil platinum. i used it for the first change, along with a m1-102a filter and immediately noticed a difference over the factory fill. it was definitely louder and i also noticed poor acceleration. i ended up running that oil for less than 200 miles and just changed it out to mobil 1 5w30 FS & a motorcraft fl-910s filter. now my ranger is back to normal, quiet & everything. i dont know about the fram filters but i have heard the "orange can of death" stories from years ago. im sure their top of the line filter is pretty good. after seeing your post i read some reviews and it seems to be an excellent filter. probably better than the 910s im running. my next change im going to give castrol edge a try with the napa gold or platinum filter. after that ill either stick with mobil 1 or castrol. whichever my ecoboost prefers.

Interesting. With the PP $25 rebate I am about to buy a few jugs. BUT..........

My Accord doesn't "like" the current PP. Via analyses they drastically cut the moly. Went from over 200+ppm down to maybe 50? I switched over to Magnatec and she loves it!! Since Magnatec has been discontinued, hopefully the Edge BB I bought will be just as satisfactory.

Correction. Typo-FRAM XG3614
I've used oils like this that have made my engines more audible. Lately it's been the Havoline ProDS that has now made my engines loud(er). Something has changed for sure. Keep doing what you're doing.

Last edited:
IMO this is a typical old vs new comparison. You're comparing an oil which has some hours on it to a fresh fill. It's akin to comparing road noise of brand new tires with those you just replaced which were worn out.

been running pennzoil platinum 5w30 in my 2021 ranger xlt. 2.3l ecoboost turbo. I drained the factory fill at 1k. I change every 4-6k.

getting ready to do my 3rd change and walmart was out of most oil except for mobil 1 synthetic . luckily they had 5w30. I figured why not. so I looked for my 910s filter and they didn't have it either. so I grabbed the only one they had for my truck, fram ultra xg3641 rated for 20k miles.

a funny thing happened after I changed oil. my truck became more quiet. ran more smooth than it ever has. what in the world did M1 do differently than my trusty PP didn't? I've used pennzoil for 30yrs. before any of you say its all in my head, I assure you it isn't. there is a very noticeable difference in the way my truck sounds and runs.

how good or bad are the fram ultra synthetic xg filters? I've heard horror stories about fram, but that's been ages ago. this is my first fram. I'm a little nervous about it but this particular xg series has very good reviews.
Which variety of M1 are you using?

IMO this is a typical old vs new comparison. You're comparing an oil which has some hours on it to a fresh fill. It's akin to comparing road noise of brand new tires with those you just replaced which were worn out.
Thank you. I'm always amazed that people can make an accurate "noise" comparison between the new fill and one that was multiple thousands of miles and months ago.

Last edited:

Attachments

• m1 fs.jpeg
    m1 fs.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 68
fwiw, my 2022 ranger wasnt happy with pennzoil platinum. i used it for the first change, along with a m1-102a filter and immediately noticed a difference over the factory fill. it was definitely louder and i also noticed poor acceleration. i ended up running that oil for less than 200 miles and just changed it out to mobil 1 5w30 FS & a motorcraft fl-910s filter. now my ranger is back to normal, quiet & everything. i dont know about the fram filters but i have heard the "orange can of death" stories from years ago. im sure their top of the line filter is pretty good. after seeing your post i read some reviews and it seems to be an excellent filter. probably better than the 910s im running. my next change im going to give castrol edge a try with the napa gold or platinum filter. after that ill either stick with mobil 1 or castrol. whichever my ecoboost prefers.

I'm on my 2nd run of PP 5-30 in my 2.7eb Bronco. Not thrilled with the noise either. UOA was fine but didn't blow me away. I have enough to run it a 3rd time, but I might swap oils with my wife's Palisade and use her Costco 5-30 next change. After that I don't envision giving it another try for awhile. I actually bought QSFS when it was $15.xx at walmart a couple months ago but they substituted PP is how I ended up with the 3rd batch.

Yup, different oils, different sounds... you could put conventional Super Tech from Walmart in it and it will be even more quiet.
You dont need Mobil 1 ;) for quiet.

Yeah that can happen..

My lady's 98 Camry ran really loud on Cam2 Superpromax and Super S. Put in Warren Distribution oil with Federated Auto parts label on it. Camry ran much, much quieter... Hellen Keller would have noticed the difference.

The Fram XG will be a very good filter...
The reference to Keller is almost funny, but after being profoundly deaf the last 3.5 yrs I can relate to what she surely missed out on.

Back