3k oil change with yb or 6k with pp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda has been using OLM for the past several years so go by the OLM if I were you.

Old habits die hard and it's about time for you and many BITOGers to change their habits RE: 3K/OCI.

I change my oil every 5kmiles/8kkms or 1 yr, whichever my OLM or time comes first.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Honda has been using OLM for the past several years so go by the OLM if I were you.

Old habits die hard and it's about time for you and many BITOGers to change their habits RE: 3K/OCI.

I change my oil every 5kmiles/8kkms or 1 yr, whichever my OLM or time comes first.

Q.

We have an 05 element so there is no OLM

you should have an oil change interval warning on your dashboard.

Dad's 7th gen civic (bought 99 November, a 2000 model) already came with oil interval meter on dash that would warn us for OC every approx. 8000kms. I would stick to it if I were you.

BTW: IC engine lubricants have had significant changes over the past 2 decades or so that modern conventional oil can take the 5kmiles OCI with ease. No need to waste precious resource by rigidly adhering to the old ways of 3k oci when we know (when in doubt, perform an UOA) that there's still lots of life left in the oil.

Q.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland

Your right about the 3000 miles but I've done it for so long that I just cant kick the habit. The internal clock go's off in me about the time I hit 3k and tells me I need to change the oil.

Put a windshield sticker on the windshield written out in big numbers for 6,000 miles later. Meditate on it...say over and over...I can do it...I can do it.

6k with PYB or 10K with PP. We are talking about one of the lowest wearing Honda engines.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Billy007
I don't know how cold it gets in Portland during the winter. You can run YB during the summer, and run PP during the winter.
+1 You can even go 6K miles on the YB in the summer.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quest
you should have an oil change interval warning on your dashboard.

Dad's 7th gen civic (bought 99 November, a 2000 model) already came with oil interval meter on dash that would warn us for OC every approx. 8000kms. I would stick to it if I were you.

BTW: IC engine lubricants have had significant changes over the past 2 decades or so that modern conventional oil can take the 5kmiles OCI with ease. No need to waste precious resource by rigidly adhering to the old ways of 3k oci when we know (when in doubt, perform an UOA) that there's still lots of life left in the oil.

Q.

My dash light goes off at 10k. Its not a OLM its just a 10k timer. I'll never be able to go 10k on an oil change im just a little too ocd

Originally Posted By: ryland
im just a little too ocd

*ding ding ding ding!* (we hava winner!)

If you need to meditate so as to break free from old habits, let me know and I'll past you to a couple of yogis my colleagues been referring to me.

grin2.gif

Q.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I can't imagine doing 3K oil changes on a honda, especially with Pennzoil. What is the mfg recommendation for severe service OCI? I wouldn't go less than that.

Why not 3K or less oil changes on a Honda ? My S2000 recommended OCI is 12mo/7500 miles for normal service and 6mo/3750 miles for severe conditions, both recommended OCI's are for either dino or syn. I don't want to change oil at less than 3k miles, but most my trips are city driving at less than 5 miles each. My S2000 OCI is on time limit rather than miles limit.

The OP's driving condition is easy on oil (20 miles each way to work), the Honda recommendation OCI should be followed, i.e., 12mo/10k miles or at least 6-7k miles on dino and 10-12k miles on syn.

Last edited:
ryland - I'm across the river from you and know what sort of conditions you are dealing with. My wife drives a '99 Civic about 10 miles to work and back every day. A mix of stop and go with some on the interstate.

Before moving here I was doing a 10K OCI with PP on mostly rural highways. When we moved here I was worried I'd have to bring it down to a 7.5K OCI. After doing a UOA I came to the conclusion that PP in a Honda is good for pretty much any driving conditions. Personally I'd go with PP, run it 10K, get a UOA done if that takes the edge off and call it good.

Clark

Originally Posted By: killagt
is pennzoils dino is group III ?

No, Pennzoil Platinum is. But whatever PYB is, it is good stuff.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I think he mean PYB = Pennzoils Yellow Bottle. Can any one name me what oil is group III oil please, I know castrol gtx is. what other. thanks

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I think he mean PYB = Pennzoils Yellow Bottle. Can any one name me what oil is group III oil please, I know castrol gtx is. what other. thanks

Sorry, I didn't mean I was confused as to what PYB was, rather, I am unsure as to what its base-stock is. Since PP is GIII, I would say with certainty that PYB is not.

Also, GTX is not a GIII oil either. Castrol SYNTEC is.

Last edited by a moderator:
do at least 5000 mile / 6 month with conventional and 7500 mile /12 month with synthetic with your driving regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back