3k miles with M1 5W-40 in Audi 2.8 12v V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oil consumption used to be ca 1/2 qt over 10k miles with Castrol Syntec 5W-50, and ca a 3/4 qt with M1 0W-40. 3k miles ago I switched to 5W-40, and, based on sound and smoothness, the engine seems to like that oil much better than the 0W-40. However, oil consumption is higher than ever. Keep in mind I've been driving the car pretty hard. Over the first 1k miles I added 0.8 qt, over the next 1k miles I added 0.7 qt, and yesterday, after 3k miles altogether, I topped off with 0.5 qt. That consumption is within what's considered normal for this engine, but it's still way higher that I've ever seen it. It's by the way very likely that my valve seals are not in very good shape, so that may well be a contributing factor. Anyway, oil consumption has been coming down, and I hope it will continue to do so. The oil on the dipstick looks still good, though it seems thicker and darker when cold. When it's hot it looks the same like when new. I'll definitely leave it in for another 2k miles.

My oil consumption has "seemed" to slow way down on this oil change with M1 0W-40. I think I've added less than 1/2 quart in about 2-3k miles since I changed it last. I'm going with the regularly scheduled 8k mile OCI (or yearly, whichever comes first.)

make sure to check the oil pan gasket for leaks. Mine didn't leak on the ground in my car but it was leaking alright. all this black oil gunk was all underneath my car.

I am interested in M1TS for my 30v Audi. I am currently ARX rinsing with Delvac 1300. I like this oil very much now that I have it in my car. Other cars I have used it in seemed good, I took the plunge with my 1998 A4. IMO, all Mobil oils have high consumption. (exec 15w-50???) Over 10k intervals usage with GC was ~1q in 10,000 miles!

I have had M1 0w-40 in my TT for 3000+ miles now and the car runs great. I have no consumption and it is smooth on startup. No complaints here. I am going to put the M1 5w-40 in my truck once I use up all the Amsoil that i have in the garage.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
The oil on the dipstick looks still good, though it seems thicker and darker when cold. When it's hot it looks the same like when new. I'll definitely leave it in for another 2k miles.

I noticed the same thing when running Amsoil Series 2000 0W30 in my Volvo S60. Honey colored when warm, but dark brown when cold.

I think it's maybe just because the cold oil hangs so much thicker on the dipstick than the hot oil does. I'm not totally convinced of my own theory, because I've never seen such a crass difference in color depending on temperature in any oil.
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back