3K miles & 6 mos on M1 10W-30 + Napa Gold filter - change filter only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with MRC01. Both your oil & filter should be good for a full year. Actually, you oil's probably good for two full years (7 qts!
shocked.gif
). With "mostly highway" miles, I'd run it that long without worry, but most here would probably recommend a UOA after a full year. I'm not too familiar with Napa Golds, but aren't they one of the better filters? They're probably good for two years/12k miles too, but I know folks here tend to be a bit squeamish about leaving filters on that long.

Go the distance with the filter to whatever you decide on for the oil change interval. I just went one year with mine and 11,200 miles and when compared to two previous oil samples at 12,000 miles each where the filter was changed at 6ooo miles there was no difference. Many will disagree with not changing the fitler at 6 months but IMO it makes no difference. I have yet to hear anyone on this board claim a fitler has been clogged with dirt or anything else due to extended use unless they are running a engine cleaning agent with the oil. There is very little to filter out in a well operating engine with todays oils.

quote:

Originally posted by tom in boise:
I have 6 months and 3000 miles on my oil in my pickup. The truck is a 98 Dodge with a V-10. The oil is M1 10W-30 and the filter is a NAPA gold. The sump holds 7 quarts. The miles that are on it are mostly highway.

Do I change the oil and filter, or the filter only?

Tom

Neither...wait a year.
grin.gif

I have 6 months and 3000 miles on my oil in my pickup. The truck is a 98 Dodge with a V-10. The oil is M1 10W-30 and the filter is a NAPA gold. The sump holds 7 quarts. The miles that are on it are mostly highway.

Tom

quote:

Originally posted by tom in boise:

Tom

If it's Mobil 1 supersyn, you probably don't need to change either so soon. What does the mfr recommend for an interval? You'll probably get at least 150% of that with the oil you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back