3800 EGR valve rattles like crazy!

It's a Firebird/Camaro with the 3800 V6, and the EGR valve rattles so loud! There is no CEL or any other driveability problems related to emissions.

The noise almost sounds like an alternator bearing, but this time it was the EGR valve. I know it's the EGR valve because when I pushed down on it, the noise went away. It is very rusty at the bottom where the bolts are!

I went under the hood to replace the battery and got one of the last Deka-made batteries in this size. They are switching to JCI/Clarios, which is a shame because they are inferior to East Penn/Deka batteries that are actually made in East Penn's namesake region of Eastern Pennsylvania, which is a great place to supply batteries for sale on the east coast.

The belt has some cracks in it, so I may replace it with an OE belt, and I will probably replace the alternator too.

Is this is the older vacuum style, or an electrically controlled valve?

I was getting an EGR code on an old Saturn with no driveability effects. The valve was so rusted inside that it clearly had been doing nothing for quite some time. The code was still present with a new valve, and pushing on the diaphragm at idle had no effect. The EGR passage turned out to be completely plugged with carbon. I had to clean it with a clothes hanger and solvent.

Is this is the older vacuum style, or an electrically controlled valve?

I was getting an EGR code on an old Saturn with no driveability effects. The valve was so rusted inside that it clearly had been doing nothing for quite some time. The code was still present with a new valve, and pushing on the diaphragm at idle had no effect. The EGR passage turned out to be completely plugged with carbon. I had to clean it with a clothes hanger and solvent.

There's an electrical connector to it, so I think it's electrically controlled :unsure:

It looks like this:
bd503996-0739-4a8c-8d6a-dd3fcdbf0878.jpg

I sprayed the rusty nuts with Knock 'er Loose, so maybe I'll take it off in a day or two.

Meanwhile, the alternator is reading 15.2-15.6 on the multimeter, and the car's own voltmeter on the dash is shaking around the line halfway between 13 and 18, and the interior lights are flickering.

Back