38,000 mile 5.3L Chevy Flex Fuel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did a change on a 2012 Tahoe with 38,000 miles. I used Castrol full synthetic extended performance (20k mi) from Walmart 6 qts and a fram full synthetic filter that's rated for 20k miles. It does have the 4 cylinder mode and occasionally runs e85. Any ideas on the OIC for this combo (I was thinking 15k) how does GM do the oil monitor? I reset it...and also I don't see a GM Dexos rating anywhere on the bottle lots of other specs...good psi so far and no leaks also filled the filter before I put it on to avoid a dry start...

The oil life monitor is optimistic in my experience, and it's also based on using Dexos rated oil (so basically synthetic). The 5.3's with the 4 cylinder mode are the ones that are fussy about doing oil changes on time. You didn't mention your driving habits. If you were driving short trips and left it in there for 15k miles its likely to have engine problems eventually. Personally I wouldn't want to go beyond 10k on that engine even if it's all highway miles. Maybe the older gen version could go 15k. I've seen some pretty neglected 4.8's and 5.3's in older vans and trucks last a long time.

Oh okay thanks so I should just buy the 7500 mi rated oil and filter then? What about this oil not being dexos rated does that matter? I though maybe the OLM used engine hours or some combination. I do have a relatively short commute about 5 mins but I normally let the truck run about 10mins prior to avoid rotting out the exhaust.

Your engine isn't direct injected like the L83 in my GMC so you don't have to worry about the problems associated with that, but yes the AFM system- mainly the lifters- would drive me to change it per the OLM or maybe sooner. If it's like mine it'll max out around 7500 miles.

For that 7500 mile oil change I'd say any dexos1 gen2 synthetic oil will suit you just fine, store brand to name brand take your pick. For your engine I don't think running a non-dexos oil would be a problem. However seeing as how so many good and cheap 5w30s fit that bill now you can close your eyes, grab one and be on your way without worry.

The GM Oil Life monitor is an algorithm that takes the following aspects of engine operation into account:

Time
Miles
RPM
Coolant Temperature (Overheat)
Coolant Temperature over operational time (How long at normal operating temp)
Coolant temperature (Heat Soak after shutdown)
Oil Temperature

And probably a few more that I've left out. It is far more than a simple time/hour meter and GM has a patent on the algorithm. Upon reset with specified oil (per Manual) the OLM starts with a certain pre-programmed value. Each parameter subtracts percentage oil life depending on whether normal operating conditions are met or exceeded. Therefore short trips as well as any overheats can be accounted for without input from the driver. In MOST cases it is EXTREMELY accurate.

In my early years on BITOG, back when everybody was doing 5000 mi oil changes, I ran conventional 5W-30 in a 2014 Chevy pickup to 12,000 miles, running the OLM to 0%. I then sent an oil sample to Blackstone. The results came back as expected, with all additives still available (depleted of course) and some oil life left. No unusual wear metals were noted.

At that time I was one of the first members to adhere to the OLM. On a side note, the GM engineer that invented the system was female. The monitor does not check oil quality, it is based on a model of the specified oil and how it wears out based on lab testing. Using Synthetic oil in a vehicle NOT specified for it will not increase the oil life as recorded by the OLM.

Personally I would run the length of the oil life monitor if it was calibrated for conventional oil (pre 2011 gm I believe) and I was running synthetic oil.

Your engine design came out before dexos spec so not having dexos spec oil isn't a big deal

Says I should use DexOs on the cap do you mean the engine was designed before 2011 I can believe that. I just looked at the manual says I should run a synthetic blend instead of a full synthetic I don't think that matters

Originally Posted by BLT_B16A2
Says I should use DexOs on the cap do you mean the engine was designed before 2011 I can believe that. I just looked at the manual says I should run a synthetic blend instead of a full synthetic I don't think that matters

I'd use a DEXOS Approved oil as dexos was out in 2012 I believe. Full syn BTW

I have a '11 Tahoe 5.3 got it with the mileage you currently have. Using M1 and change by the OLM . No issues and currently am at 99k miles and do tow with it and have been running a Range AFM disabler since I've got it.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I'd use a DEXOS Approved oil as dexos was out in 2012 I believe. Full syn BTW

Yes, Dexos started in 11

Originally Posted by repairman54
I have a '11 Tahoe 5.3 got it with the mileage you currently have. Using M1 and change by the OLM . No issues and currently am at 99k miles and do tow with it and have been running a Range AFM disabler since I've got it.

My brother has the range disabler, I tuned it right out. AFM is garbage.

Originally Posted by repairman54

I've got the 3.9 with afm and did the same thing with mine. I had a guy charge me $100 to program the afm not to activate. The car used a little oil before I deleted it but used none since. Mileage didn't really change so I was happy. As far as the OLM goes, I change my oil every 4K and that's usually around 35% left on the monitor.

It depends on usage - on avarage how many miles do you do per cold start?
What is the ratio of idling time to driving time?
What percentage of the overall operating time is spent 'at full operating temperature'

Severe service shortens intervals. Send samples to Blackstone at 1000 mile intervals to monitor tbn and viscosity.

It depends on usage - on avarage how many miles do you do per cold start?
What is the ratio of idling time to driving time?
What percentage of the overall operating time is spent 'at full operating temperature'

Severe service shortens intervals. Send samples to Blackstone at 1000 mile intervals to monitor tbn and viscosity.

Doesn't matter, the GMOLM takes all of that into account.

Ya okay so it sounds like the consensus is two things the castrol edge 5-w30 EP full syn (non-dexos) is not ideal for this engine for some reason and disable AFM which I can do with my Superchips Cortex M tuner.

Ya okay so it sounds like the consensus is two things the castrol edge 5-w30 EP full syn (non-dexos) is not ideal for this engine for some reason and disable AFM which I can do with my Superchips Cortex M tuner.

Definitely disable afm

Still curious why Dexos would matter it's got a laundry list of specs on the bottle and has additives to last 15-20k miles. Are you guys just spec jockeys or something?

Still curious why Dexos would matter it's got a laundry list of specs on the bottle and has additives to last 15-20k miles. Are you guys just spec jockeys or something?

I offered my 2cents. Good luck, and a FYI a oil having DEXOS 1 GEN2 is a serviceable oil

Just did a change on a 2012 Tahoe with 38,000 miles. I used Castrol full synthetic extended performance (20k mi) from Walmart 6 qts and a fram full synthetic filter that's rated for 20k miles. It does have the 4 cylinder mode and occasionally runs e85. Any ideas on the OIC for this combo (I was thinking 15k) how does GM do the oil monitor? I reset it...and also I don't see a GM Dexos rating anywhere on the bottle lots of other specs...good psi so far and no leaks also filled the filter before I put it on to avoid a dry start...

Here is some info a friend that is a GM Tech told me about.

Seems I was wrong on what year vehicles SHOULD USE DEXOS oil

https://oilcanhenrys.com/dexos-and-your-gm-vehicle/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back