38,000 mile 5.3L Chevy Flex Fuel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnG
Is that true that Dexos 2 rated oils are diesel spec only? That's the first time I've ever heard that one.

Dexos1gen2 for gas, dexos2 for diesel.

No wonder so much confusion exists over this Dexos spec. GM could have done a much better job with the naming conventions used here. It's ridiculous.

No wonder so much confusion exists over this Dexos spec. GM could have done a much better job with the naming conventions used here. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, really confusing. Dexos 1, Dexos 2......completely confusing. LOL!

Originally Posted by WiskyBadger
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by BLT_B16A2
Says I should use DexOs on the cap do you mean the engine was designed before 2011 I can believe that. I just looked at the manual says I should run a synthetic blend instead of a full synthetic I don't think that matters

I'd use a DEXOS Approved oil as dexos was out in 2012 I believe. Full syn BTW

Yes, Dexos started in 11

And the majority if not all the OLM testing was completed with API SL 5W30.

It depends on usage - on avarage how many miles do you do per cold start?
What is the ratio of idling time to driving time?
What percentage of the overall operating time is spent 'at full operating temperature'

Severe service shortens intervals. Send samples to Blackstone at 1000 mile intervals to monitor tbn and viscosity.

Doesn't matter, the GMOLM takes all of that into account.

Trouble is the GMOLM doesnt know TBN, or how much VII is in the mix, or the total volume of blowby interacting with oil, or the condition of the air filter and rate at which dirty air degrades the oil...they do lots of testing and have a waaranty that they dont eant to pay for so you can assume the algorithm to be close, but its not perfect. If you want to know rather than assume, send regular samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back