-37C this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The coldest large city perhaps, but I doubt it's as cold as some of the real northern cities like Iqaluit or Yellowknife.

I got curious so I popped onto the Weather Network site to see the normal temps for these three cities in January and February. Winnipeg isn't even close to being as cold as the other two.

Winnipeg's average temps in January are high of -12C, low of -23C, for February it's a high of -9 and low of -20.

For Iqaluit, Nunavet, the average high in January is -21c, average low is -29C. For Feb it's a high of -22, low of -30.

For Yellowknife, it's even colder. For January the average high is -23C, average low is -31C. In February it's a high of -19C, and low of -28C.

I much prefer it here in Toronto, where the average high in January is -1C, average low is -10C. (not as good as Vancouver though, where the average high in January is 6C!)

Dont the tires freeze when it is below about -10? Doesnt your car go thump thump thump for a few miles while the tires thaw out?

Quote:

Just to clarify for those who asked. All four vehicles mentioned in the origional post were outside with no heaters in use. The -37C we the real temp and the weather forecasters were reporting close to -48C with the wind chill.
BTW, the coldest I have been able to cold start a vehicle here was a couple of years ago we went down to -47C and my 2001 VW GTI 1.8T running GC 0W-30 cranked over about 4 turns and started.

ding ding ding ding the #@$%! alarm is going off. Sounds like some exageration going on. If you are anywhere near Edmonton the temp didn't even get close to that. Mid-north Alberta bottomed at about -32. Also why would you monitor your battery strength but then not plug your vehicle in? If it was truly -37 I can't imagine NOT having the vehicle plugged in. You must not like them very much.
nono.gif

Quote:

laugh.gif

Low population density, 2500 hours of sunshine per year, good air quality, clean lakes and rivers, great fishing and hunting, open spaces, minimal road congestion, low unemployment, Esso 0W-30, no homeless on the street . . .

With global warming around the corner, it's time to corner the real estate market up there!
canada.gif

Cold nights in Northern California.... below 40F (5C)... brrrrr
cheers.gif

It's 33F right now. freezin cold. the high tomorrow is 51F. my 10w-40 pumped the engine nicely.
grin.gif

After working outside for a couple hours in the wind today, I have to admit there's absolutely nothing enjoyable about the weather when it's really cold. The geese have very good reason to fly south in the winter, but they also have good reason to come back in the summer!

We just had a big snowstorm here in Ontario.

Dumped almost a foot on us. Brown this morning, completely winter in about 6 hours.

Quote:

I got curious so I popped onto the Weather Network site to see the normal temps for these three cities in January and February. Winnipeg isn't even close to being as cold as the other two.

Winnipeg's average temps in January are high of -12C, low of -23C, for February it's a high of -9 and low of -20.

For Iqaluit, Nunavet, the average high in January is -21c, average low is -29C. For Feb it's a high of -22, low of -30.

For Yellowknife, it's even colder. For January the average high is -23C, average low is -31C. In February it's a high of -19C, and low of -28C.

I much prefer it here in Toronto, where the average high in January is -1C, average low is -10C. (not as good as Vancouver though, where the average high in January is 6C!)

This begs the questions, where do Churchill fit in here?

Is it somewhere between Winnipeg and Yellowknife or do it have a singular microclimate? After all, nothing sits between Alert and Churchill but Hudsons Bay.

I must confess that I was wrong on the temperature reading for that morning it was actually -36.4C and not the -37C I had stated. To verify this reading go to weather.ca or use the link http://historical.farmzone.com/climate/historical.asp
and type in the Canadian City Leduc Alberta (that is where the Edmonton Airport is located as per my origional post. Select November 29, 2006 as the date and you should get the following information:
MAX TEMP : -16.1 °C
MIN TEMP : -36.4 °C
MEAN TEMP : -26.3 °C
PRECIP ACCUMULATION : 0 mm
The reason my car was not plugged in is because it was sitting at the "Park & Fly" outdoor parking lot at the airport when I started it at 7am that morning.

There are close to a million people living in the greater Edmonton Alberta area and yes, it gets darn cold sometimes here in the winter but that is a small price to pay for a superior quality of life.

I live in Fort Mcmurray, 4.5 hours north of Edmonton.
Friday morning the temperature was -38c without the windchill.

The car wasn't plugged in as I haven't purchased extension cord. Moved here temporarily for work back in July and will go get a cord.

In the car is 10-30 Castrol regular oil. I put it in after I did the ARX treatment. Next week or two I think I will go put some 0-30 in there. Still have about 1000km until the rinse phase but since July I have only put on 3000km!!

Quote:

I live in Fort Mcmurray, 4.5 hours north of Edmonton.
Friday morning the temperature was -38c without the windchill.

The car wasn't plugged in as I haven't purchased extension cord. Moved here temporarily for work back in July and will go get a cord.

In the car is 10-30 Castrol regular oil. I put it in after I did the ARX treatment. Next week or two I think I will go put some 0-30 in there. Still have about 1000km until the rinse phase but since July I have only put on 3000km!!

Don't wait, the benefits of that extra mileage on the rinse is being offset by the wear caused by horribly thick oil causing huge startup wear.

Get the oil chaged to 0w30 ASAP.

I remember in my university days driving down the whitemud freeway in Edmonton and haveing my gas line freeze. Could only idle, otherwise the car would die. I think it was colder than -35 for 4 weeks.

As luck would have it, I guess I picked a good time to be in Maui...

It's been around 88F all of the last two weeks (~30C). I got out of Calgary just in time!

Had to come into this internet cafe and get my BITOG fix!

I had a faint urge to ask the guy at the resort mowing the lawns what kind of oil he was using in his riding mower. I guess I can take some comfort in the fact there are worse kinds of deviance than motor oil deviance!

Quote:

I must confess that I was wrong on the temperature reading for that morning it was actually -36.4C and not the -37C I had stated. To verify this reading go to weather.ca or use the link http://historical.farmzone.com/climate/historical.asp
and type in the Canadian City Leduc Alberta (that is where the Edmonton Airport is located as per my origional post. Select November 29, 2006 as the date and you should get the following information:
MAX TEMP : -16.1 °C
MIN TEMP : -36.4 °C
MEAN TEMP : -26.3 °C
PRECIP ACCUMULATION : 0 mm
The reason my car was not plugged in is because it was sitting at the "Park & Fly" outdoor parking lot at the airport when I started it at 7am that morning.

There are close to a million people living in the greater Edmonton Alberta area and yes, it gets darn cold sometimes here in the winter but that is a small price to pay for a superior quality of life.

Can't argue with the number although Edmonton only got to -28.2. If the weather network is using the airport weather station then it should be reasonably accurate. That being said I notice that the weather network tends to overstate things to generate some buzz to get some eyeballs for advertising. I still have a question: Why wouldn't you plug in your block heater at this temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back