370z Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Averroes
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
If I had a 370Z I'd always run at least a 0W-40. Maybe even a 5W-50 if I was feeling froggy.

A 50 weight oil? [censored], you're not playing around are you ?

The go to oil when I raced was the classic red top Mobil 1 15w50. A car running hard in a racetrack environment can push oil temps WAYYYY up. Know what your oil temps are, and choose accordingly. Really high oil temps often show the need for better oil cooling as well.

The OP's oil temps of 90 - 110 * C are not extreme at all. With an oil cooler, a robust 5w30 is adequate for street driving.

Originally Posted by geeman789
If I had a 370Z I'd always run at least a 0W-40. Maybe even a 5W-50 if I was feeling froggy.

The go to oil when I raced was the classic red top Mobil 1 15w50. A car running hard in a racetrack environment can push oil temps WAYYYY up. Know what your oil temps are, and choose accordingly. Really high oil temps often show the need for better oil cooling as well.

The OP's oil temps of 90 - 110 * C are not extreme at all. With an oil cooler, a robust 5w30 is adequate for street driving.

https://www.eneos.us/product/eneos-racing-street-0w-50/
Why not shoot for the stars with an 0w50?

Good golly miss molybdenum!

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by geeman789

https://www.eneos.us/product/eneos-racing-street-0w-50/
Why not shoot for the stars with an 0w50?

Good golly miss molybdenum!

Don't give me any ideas. Maybe when I actually track I will use this stuff. 50 to thick for my application (daily driving/spirited driving). I think I will stick to the robust 30 weight oils. Let me just rip through this LiquiMoly 5w40 hightech.

I agree with you. The weakness is the heat these engines generate, it's crazy. I am going to try the following next PUP 5W30, Mobil 1 0w40, and the Shell Rotella that you mentioned and ofc I will run a UOA for them all. For a gear oil what would you say about the Penzoil Platnium 75W90? Don't feel like spending the money on Amsoil, RL or Royal Purple. Once again thank you for the assistance, time and input, it's greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't even worry about the UOAs. You're not going to be able to get any valid comparison from one oil to another. All those oils will work quite well, and you won't tell much meaningful in a UOA to differentiate them, except maybe OCI length, and they're all robust enough that such a matter won't trouble you.

That gear oil would be just fine. I used RP simply because I was able to get it barely above conventional gear lube pricing.

Originally Posted by Garak
I agree with you. The weakness is the heat these engines generate, it's crazy. I am going to try the following next PUP 5W30, Mobil 1 0w40, and the Shell Rotella that you mentioned and ofc I will run a UOA for them all. For a gear oil what would you say about the Penzoil Platnium 75W90? Don't feel like spending the money on Amsoil, RL or Royal Purple. Once again thank you for the assistance, time and input, it's greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't even worry about the UOAs. You're not going to be able to get any valid comparison from one oil to another. All those oils will work quite well, and you won't tell much meaningful in a UOA to differentiate them, except maybe OCI length, and they're all robust enough that such a matter won't trouble you.

That gear oil would be just fine. I used RP simply because I was able to get it barely above conventional gear lube pricing.

Sweet! Skip the UOA's it is then. I'm dying to try Eneos 5w30, I'll post back here and let you all know how it goes. Thank you Garak and of course, everyone else for your time and input, it's appreciated. If anyone as anything else to add feel free!

You should, with any luck, be able to obtain Eneos from Partsource at a semi-reasonable price. It won't be Partsource's or CT's periodic sales on the usual suspects, but it probably will be cheaper than any of them at regular price.

Sweet! Skip the UOA's it is then. I'm dying to try Eneos 5w30, I'll post back here and let you all know how it goes. Thank you Garak and of course, everyone else for your time and input, it's appreciated. If anyone as anything else to add feel free!

https://www.amazon.com/Eneos-3703-4...way&sprefix=eneos+6+gallo&sr=8-2

This should last you a second
thumbsup2.gif

You should, with any luck, be able to obtain Eneos from Partsource at a semi-reasonable price. It won't be Partsource's or CT's periodic sales on the usual suspects, but it probably will be cheaper than any of them at regular price.

Thanks for the info as always Garak.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

https://www.amazon.com/Eneos-3703-4...way&sprefix=eneos+6+gallo&sr=8-2

This should last you a second
thumbsup2.gif

That's aloootaaa oil hahaha! Thanks for the link. I will consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back