36 year old sister passed away - possible drug OD

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandmother received a call from the L.A. coroner's office on Sunday evening to let her know that my 36 year old sister (actually my stepmother's daughter that my father adopted) had been found dead at a friend's house. They were going through my sister's cell phone trying to locate her next of kin. My grandmother's name is Bea, so I guess that her number was one of the first listed in the phone to call. After providing the caller with my father and stepmother's phone number, my grandmother called me. I waited about 30 minutes and then called my father's house, hoping that my 89 year old grandmother had gotten her facts wrong. She didn't and it appears as though my sister may have died from an accidental overdose, perhaps a combination of pills and alcohol. There was not a suicide note, so we are fairly certain that her death was not intentional. We wont know the actual cause of death, however, until the autopsy and toxicology results are finalized.

My sister had moved to Los Angeles after receiving her BBA from the University of Houston. She was a model, but had appeared in a few movies. Most recently, she was an extra in "Don't Mess with the Zohan". Since she was 36, roles and modeling assignments were getting harder to come by. Without name recognition, I am sure that it's hard for a 36 year old to compete in a town that is full of 20 year old hotties.

She had developed a drug problem along the way, which is most likely common in her line of work. My parents were in denial and I knew nothing about my sister's issues. My stepmother flew out to California to beg my sister to come home, staying for over three weeks. Eventually my stepmother came home because she could not take the onslaught of verbal abuse that my sister dished out when my father and stepmother refused to give her any money.

In the end, she seemed to be in a downward spiral because of the "tough love" approach being used to get her to return to Houston. My parents figured that she could use her college degree to obtain a decent job here in Houston and then return to California one day, but she flat out refused to come home. Shortly thereafter, my parents stopped paying her rent and car note, forcing her to stay with friends and using the bus to get around. Prior to this she had been living in an exclusive high-rise apartment and driving a new BMW. If I had known her situation, perhaps I could have persuaded her to come home. Now, however, I will never get the chance.

I do not feel that giving my sister money would have been the right thing to do, as it would have enabled her to continue down the obviously destructive path she had selected. My stepmother will likely need to be institutionalized when all is said and done. My sister was her only child, so she has lost everything in her mind and fells as though she has no reason to live anymore. She blames herself for not doing more and will not listen to reason. We keep telling her that you cannot help someone that does not want to be helped. Help in my sister's mind consisted of obtaining money, which would have only served to allow her to continue her destructive behavior.

To add insult to injury, we had to make all of the funeral arrangements yesterday. Dealing with the folks at the funeral home felt 10X more sleazy than dealing with a used car salesman. They take advantage of your grief and realize that you do not have the desire or fortitude to negotiate in a rational manner.

I apologize for ranting and thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that those of you who have read this will learn a few things from my experience.

1) Tough Love is a good approach, but if it does not work as intended the worst can, and very well may, happen. My stepmother is playing the "what if" game like a record with a scratch that keeps playing the same line in a song over and over again.

2) Look into funeral planning early, even if you are young. It is a sleazy business and sales folks at funeral homes literally have you over a barrel when a loved one dies unexpectedly.

3) Don't withhold information from family members, especially close family members, when someone in the family is having issues. Someone that gets angry because you have informed other family members about their personal issues will usually get over it, but death is permanent and cannot be undone.

I would not wish what my family and I have gone through these past few days on my worst enemy.....

May God Bless you and your family. Our little town just had a 22 year old college senior die from a first-time use o.d. She left behind her grandparents, her sisters, and a 4 year old daughter. Her parents were killed in a car crash when she was young.

Sorry for your loss.
I hope your step-mother starts feeling better. Not at all her fault. I wish people knew what drugs and alcohol can to to a family. My sister is an alcoholic, family has tried talking to her with no luck.

I lost my step-sister on January 10th of this year. She was only 30. She was killed in a car accident. The days after were full of sorrow and loss. Nothing can ever replace a loved one. It hurts the most when they die young with so much life to live. Memories are all we have. Perhaps there is more to all this and some higher power sought to put your loved one in a better place. It takes a long time to make any sense of something like this. Everytime I see a new Mustang GT I get upset because my sister was so proud of her 08 GT. She worked hard to become a postmaster and was only a few days shy of attaining this promotion. She also left behind two little girls. One of them is her spittin' image. And the other has her personality and laugh. My family and brother-in-law are happy they have those two girls. I am going to do anything I can to make sure those girls get anything they need to be successful in life.

Even to this day I wake up and have a hard time believing she is actually gone. It is going to take me a long time...I remember ever little fight we had as kids and everytime we hung out and had fun. I remember opening Christmas presents. The time she hit me in the head with a baseball accidently. The times she helped me with my math homework. The time my step-brother, her and I skipped school together and had a blast until we got caught! Everything! The memories are bittersweet but they are all we have.

It was foggy morning and I beat myself up for not calling her and telling her to be careful that morning or to call in. In reality it was an accident and it was out of my hands. We just don't know what is going to happen. And when it does we are apt to blame ourselves. Like everyone in my family did. Words can not really help us. It takes time and reflection on the good times.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

I am very sorry to hear about your sister. I hope the rest of your family can pull through this without feeling guilty for things they couldn't control.

That's a tragic loss. Sorry to hear of it.

A coworker had a similar situation. His stepdaughter was 25 and died of an overdose/bad combination of drugs and alcohol. They knew very well that she had problems and in my humble opinion were confronting them in a very realistic way. The approach was sometimes tough (limiting her access to their house given an 8 and a 12 year old living there, too) and sometimes caring. Sometimes, however, you can't stop fate and the saddest part is that she never got the chance to turn herself around.

Best wishes to you and your family. I certainly hope you all bear this storm as well as possible.

Very sorry about your sister.

In my opinion, the tough love is the only way to go. Anything else just empowers people with drug/alcohol problems.

Both of my sisters are gone. From the time they were teens, I fully expected to come home one day and find that the youngest had committed suicide. She simply couldn't handle life, was very moody.

The oldest was addicted to money. She couldn't ever get enough stuff to satisfy her. She would leave good jobs repeatedly and went through 3 husbands after she bankrupted them.

The youngest finally came out of it and married, and lived a normal life.

Later I found out both had been raped by the age of 12 by a non immediate family member.

Nothing happens without a reason.

I hope your family feels no guilt concerning her death. You all tried to help and not harm. Sometimes a bad outcome is unavoidable in such a case as no one can be helped if they refuse help.

May G0D give all of you peace.

Sorry for your loss. You sound like one of the more down-to-earth people in your family. Sad that you in your generation are in tune with what's going on, but if you approached an elder they would assume you were jealous, "she's a good kid", etc.

I am watching my sister drift towards age 30 as a "professional student" on my parent's nickel and they seem oblivious as to how their spoiling her is detrimental.
frown.gif
She's on the other side of the coin, so squeaky clean for religious reasons I can see her getting swallowed by a cult.

Sorry to hear of your loss here.

Quote:
1) Tough Love is a good approach, but if it does not work as intended the worst can, and very well may, happen. My stepmother is playing the "what if" game like a record with a scratch that keeps playing the same line in a song over and over again.

Tough love is just about the only approach for most. Enabling does nothing but feed the self destruction. Unfortunately, you can't control all the variables. Tough love depends on the ultimate surrender of the loved one to the peril of their dysfunction.

You cannot save someone from themselves....short of kidnapping her and locking them in a basement for a few months what can you do
21.gif

Quote:
3) Don't withhold information from family members, especially close family members, when someone in the family is having issues. Someone that gets angry because you have informed other family members about their personal issues will usually get over it, but death is permanent and cannot be undone.

This is absolutely a requirement. Hiding hardship is the last thing you should do with family. These instances are when you need all the help that family can provide. It is our separation and isolation of such things that stifles their resolution. My wife always wanted to shield our children from our challenges. I argued that they needed to see our pain too. How else will they develop empathy and appreciation for sacrifice?

Don't worry if they'll get over it. I'll take a hostile grudge about hanging dirty laundry on the line over the alternatives. Don't ever expect thanks in these matters. Taking on the repair of a broken life is a tremendous burden. Failure is likely ..and success, although possible, can be so far down the line that it trumps our ability to cope and survive ourselves.

..btw..just about anyone can get someone committed for evaluation if you believe that they are a harm to themselves or the community. Most don't know this is an option. It's a process, but it merely takes a compelling belief that the person is at risk. We've done this a few times with some of our chronically distressed associates that we've run into in some of the ministries that I participate in.

You have to accept the hatred of the person as the price of doing something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back