350Z owners and not changing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those kind of blanket statements without any proof really tick me off. Not to mention that they don't seem to be able to spell. Would I really trust information from people like that?

Sure, I know a guy who's cousins sisters uncles friend knows a guy who when 250K on the original oil. Yeah, you betcha.

What is the most difficult to believe is there is someone who will read that thread, take it as good advice, and TRY IT !!!
crushedcar.gif

You would think people that can afford a Nissan 350Z would have more sense than this. Not to intentionally stereotype anyone but I hang out on my share of import boards being a Honda fan. I like the Preludes, S2000s, but I'm not into Civics. I also hang out at the Ford Trucks forum.

The difference is night and day. One is full of k001 k1dz and one is very similiar to the attitude on this board. Can you guess which is which?

I will say this. If I could afford a 350Z I sure as **** wouldn't stop changing the oil after 50k.
freak2.gif
He can cite old timer wisdom all he likes. I'm betting they would also recommend he slap a thick bacteria infested steak on his sore eyes as well.

quote:

I know alot of people who after 50K just add oil. The guys I hang out with (sportbike riders) all know the secret. One of them works for amsoil and he gave us the low down. You change oil for the first 50K around 35K you go synthetic. By 50K there is no debris in the oil as long as the air filter stays reasonably clean. There is no need to filter the oil and the synthetic will pretty much last forever. You just top it off whenever is burns a little off. A little oil consumption is perfectly normal, so you just replace what is consumed. I know several people who have all gone at least 150K each with just topping off the oil. I did it on my last car, and I will do it on my Z.

What a post.

Being an Amsoil dealer != working for Amsoil.

And when's the last time you saw any sportbike with 50K miles on it? I rode one that far many years ago and couldn't find many others who had.

You have to love the wisdom of the internet...
lol.gif

Ugh, that's why I can't stand going on half the car forums on the internet. Rarely have I read a post that was either knowledgeable or made any sense at all. I check out a Mazda forum from time to time, and the maturity of some of the posters (too many as far as I'm concerned) is quite low. Too many seem to be interested in finding more ways in order to destroy their car more quickly, or strap on another useless performance part (grounding wires?) to squeeze out another few imaginary HP's...

BITOG is certainly not the norm, it's the exception.

That has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read. You have to love outcome based education where no common sense needed to pass.
Anybody a member over there? Let them know about BITOG. We need some good comedy once a while over here.

quote:

The difference is night and day. One is full of k001 k1dz and one is very similiar to the attitude on this board. Can you guess which is which?

I notice that as well. Seems any message board relating to import cars is full of 'attitude' and testosterone. People on those boarda all trying to be hard, and for the most part the young males on those boards seem to assume if you have an import car, you must be a 'tuner'. You're almost made to feel that if you don't like 'ricing' up your car, adding NAWWWSSS or a big **** cannon or stickers or crap like that, you aren't welcome there. Can't someone just buy an import car because they like the reliability, or some similiar reason? I really don't like the whole tuner scene. I buy a car and drive it, I'm not a ricer. Yes, I drive a Honda, and I like my Honda. Now, two message boards I used to frequent which are dedicated to domestic cars, fordfestiva.com and a-body.net have a nice friendly atmosphere, it's almost like being among family there.

I hear ya, 55. I love my Honda too. I remember I saw a white Prelude VTEC with the leather interior in early '93 and just fell in love with the car. I remember that "rice" was used to describe the type of fuel those cars probably ran on then lol.

Eventually I bought an identical 1995 model except in red and received constant complements on how beautiful the car is. Everyone seemed to love the curvy lines of the 4th gen Prelude and the roar of VTEC.

Now in 2005 I can't run down to the convenient store without a Honda/Acura/Nissan/Toyota plus **** cannon burning his clutch at first sight of me or someone accusing my car of being slow because it still has the stock exhaust system, suspension, rims and spoiler (and NO stickers).

The irony is my car is probably faster and out-handles these "tuned" cars with oversized wheels and severly lowered suspension modded by people that don't know any better. Not to mention that huge wing creating all that drag at anything below track speeds.

Back on topic:

Anyone here actually do something similiar to what these guys are talking about? Or know someone who does and has gotten that kind of mileage out of a vehicle. If so, how does it run? I imagine it wouldn't run very well at all.

"I know alot of people who after 50K just add oil. The guys I hang out with (sportbike riders) all know the secret. One of them works for amsoil and he gave us the low down. You change oil for the first 50K around 35K you go synthetic. By 50K there is no debris in the oil as long as the air filter stays reasonably clean. There is no need to filter the oil and the synthetic will pretty much last forever. You just top it off whenever is burns a little off. A little oil consumption is perfectly normal, so you just replace what is consumed. I know several people who have all gone at least 150K each with just topping off the oil. I did it on my last car, and I will do it on my Z." -Blue05Z

I have a 350Z, but I'm not an idiot.
grin.gif
Common sense is severely lacking in people somtimes. I pity that guy if he never changes his oil in his Z.

Not sure about the switching to syn @ 35K miles quote, because most people told me it was ok to do that when I reached around 15K miles.

And.......topics get better (or worse depending on how you look at it) on my350z.com
wink.gif

That thread was wonderful entertainment.

If you look at some of the more incredulous posts, you'll find those guys are fairly new to the forum, and I imagine they're probably new to their Nissan and motoring in general.... let them learn the hard way.

Zardoz, that's why you're here.

Posted by Kestas:
quote:

If you look at some of the more incredulous posts, you'll find those guys are fairly new to the forum, and I imagine they're probably new to their Nissan and motoring in general.... let them learn the hard way.

That, and these guys will ensure that in the future, we have a steady supply of new "oh my gosh, check out this sludgepacker" photos! Predictable, regrettable, and so forth, but they do supply some safe entertainment. . .

Oh yeah, I wouldn't do this to my Z-in-Disguise (G35) either. The VQ35 is robust, and non-sludge-prone, but a determined fool can kill any engine if he tries hard enough.

This is the main reason I hang on to my 71 Cutlass of 23 years. It has never been "improved"... only repaired and maintained to factory specs. Even after 176K and an engine/tranny rebuild, it's still a virgin.

I had a 1978 Olds Toronado that use to devour oil like nothing else, even though there was only 40K miles on the car (token garage kept, taken care of by old people deals) when it died. It even came with the original tires. It was 1998 when I got it. lol

Loved that car, use to blow Vettes and ricer kids off the line with it, but the one time I let my sister use the car, she decides to go on the highway. 30 minutes later I get a call with her saying: "I heard a knocking sound in the engine, then the car stalled." I didn't know too much about cars at the time, but I knew it'd never run again. I would assume during that whole last week it consumed all the oil without notice and finally choked when my sis was driving. Very odd. So.....I'll never buy into a 'I never change my oil' stories.

Oh and btw Ekpolk, I picked-up 5 quarts of Amsoil S2K 0W-30 oil and an Amsoil oil filter. Thanks for the advice.

I also got their engine flush, but decided against using it. I really don't see a need for it yet.

One of the experts on a Hyundai boards posted up that Energy Conserving oil is bad for you car, and not to use it. Don’t want to argue with him about it, because, well, he is a Hyundai “***”, and I know nothing. You see the same thing when discussing oil filters. OEM is the only way to go, it’s the best, don’t use anything else, it will destroy your motor.

I just wish I had an OEM filter that I could cut up and show off. Everyone believes that none of the other filters made flow the right amount of oil for the engine. Don’t know how to tell them that the oil pumps flows enough for the engine, not the oil filter.

How could I forget -- someone needs to hook that guy up the the synlube folks. A match made in heaven. I would so like to sneak about six ounces of his oil off to a lab for a look-see.

I don't buy the Honda with 400k and no maintenence story. I also have little use for the "my uncles...fill in the blanks with incredible details...stories".

I've been driving a long time, and this is what I've noticed-those that can't be bothered to change their oil have no respect for their cars in general, and their cars die early and painful deaths from many different causes, no matter what the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back