35 mm slides > digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone converted 35 mm slides to a digital format? I have a zillion slides of my own and my late father's I would like to convert to a digital format. Has anyone done this?

Yes, but the way to do it to get best quality is pretty pricey. My FIL bought a scanner at around the $750 price point, and if you really want to do it right, thats at the lower end.

The nikon scanners are the cool stuff but you should be able to sell one when you're done for about what you paid.

Lots of schools etc bought them in the late 1990s. If you aren't in the hugest hurry you could get them from a surplus auction.

Beware mold eats slides, keep them dry, dry, dry, not in a basement or attic.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yes, but the way to do it to get best quality is pretty pricey. My FIL bought a scanner at around the $750 price point, and if you really want to do it right, thats at the lower end.

Have to disagree a bit, Plustek is very popular and have a reputation for quality with serious amateurs for a lot less than $750.

Lots of guys and gals that still shoot film use them with great results.

I'd buy one if I was in the market but the few times I use film anymore it is medium format 120.

I have. I borrowed a friends Minolta Dimage film scanner. Also learned some basic photoshop work. I'd suggest culling through and getting the ones you really want first, then do them. It's quite a bit of effort, but once you get the routine down it's not too bad. You'll need another HD to store them on and/or DVD's or blu-rays, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back