31% of new cars sold for above sticker price last month. These 10 models have the biggest premiums

Re: the article, the cars top 10 listed selling over MSRP are so limited in volume, I can call that article "click bait".

In Canada new car inventories are adjusting rapidly with more supply. Seeing deep discounts on new pickups of 15% and more.
Toyota is still production constrained, my suggestion is shop elsewhere.
Chev has quite a bit of supply as well. The small car market will not see better than MSRP as the supply is just not there any longer, as markets have changed.
In Canada, 85+ of new vehicle sales are CUV, SUV or trucks.
Had a trade in last week of a Jetta and Tiguan, both low kms, both in mint condition. They traded both in on one Ram, just tired of dealing deal with the poor visibility seeing over snow banks, at intersections with the sedan.

There's a localish Chevy dealer around here that probably has 50 Silverado's in stock, most mid level or higher trim. The other Chevy dealer closer to me is completely void of new cars. Kinda odd...

My favorite Toyota dealer which our family bought total 8 vehicles 2013 and on want's MSRP plus 3500$ and whatever factory installed options. Finally got 2023 Mazda CX-30 base for MSRP and 1200$ over with 0.9% APR but waited many months to get one.The Corolla Cross I want not happening.

Motorcycles are money pits. The cost per mile far exceeds a passenger vehicle. Tire costs alone approach 6¢ a mile. Insurance if you chose to insure is about that every year. ect ect ect
I was let down by this realization. I rode motorcycles for a year and thought it would be fantastic savings, but the tire cost alone was awful. Tires only getting 6,000 miles per set and the more frequent engine maintenance made it a losing battle. A cheap Toyota Corolla is better financially than a motorcycle.

There's a localish Chevy dealer around here that probably has 50 Silverado's in stock, most mid level or higher trim. The other Chevy dealer closer to me is completely void of new cars. Kinda odd...
That is odd considering this article. Maybe has bank loan issues to carry inventory?

That is odd considering this article. Maybe has bank loan issues to carry inventory?

They've been selling trucks at or below MSRP this entire time during the "situation" even to buyers out of state. People have driven from the West Coast to get a truck from them. Maybe the dealers that sell more volume get more? I almost contemplated trading the Taco for one, but don't want to deal with reliability issues.

They got several nice optioned 2.7L 4WD trucks for under $40K. Well, heck, every truck around here is 4WD, heh...

I received an email today from one of my local Acura dealers. They have 81 in stock and are selling at MSRP. They had $3000 ADM on their cars last year.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Yes, I'm not sure what you mean though.
Oligopoly type pricing. Think about airline ticket prices as the classic example. If airline A raises prices, then airline B can raise prices. However, If airline A raises prices and airline B doesn't respond, then airline A will drop their prices back to the original pricing so as to not lose customers.

Works the same in the opposite direction.

Dealerships are doing the same thing. Just try shopping in a different area as the supply of new cars becomes better - prices will go back down. People like to eat, and sales produce income. No sales produce no income.

My favorite Toyota dealer which our family bought total 8 vehicles 2013 and on want's MSRP plus 3500$ and whatever factory installed options. Finally got 2023 Mazda CX-30 base for MSRP and 1200$ over with 0.9% APR but waited many months to get one.The Corolla Cross I want not happening.
It's interesting that you openly state you paid over sticker and waited many months. Not saying whether that's right or wrong, but these shenanigans have imho revealed more truths. You actually are likely a good negotiator to get $1200 over when others paid $3500. Me, I'll go to my grave having never paid over list, and usually below invoice (because that's fiction dealer is still making a decent margin at that number on many makes). The only one that wasn't below invoice was the 2007 BMW because none were in stock nationwide, i.e. buy off an allocation. The average was $500 off list and mine was $1800 off. They attempted (because the tricks never end) to say saleswoman forgot about Training and MACO fees so come back in and redo the paperwork. I said cancel the order and give it to someone else. "OK, you don't have to pay those fees." :ROFLMAO:

Oligopoly type pricing. Think about airline ticket prices as the classic example. If airline A raises prices, then airline B can raise prices. However, If airline A raises prices and airline B doesn't respond, then airline A will drop their prices back to the original pricing so as to not lose customers.

Works the same in the opposite direction.

Dealerships are doing the same thing. Just try shopping in a different area as the supply of new cars becomes better - prices will go back down. People like to eat, and sales produce income. No sales produce no income.
Exactly, "whatever the market will bear." As long as people are willing to pay higher prices the prices will stay high. Car dealers aren't stupid, but if the economy really takes a dive so will car prices. I have a feeling the current banking issue is going to change things up a bit.

Exactly, "whatever the market will bear." As long as people are willing to pay higher prices the prices will stay high. Car dealers aren't stupid, but if the economy really takes a dive so will car prices. I have a feeling the current banking issue is going to change things up a bit.
This has been said by the food industry. Even though ingredient prices have gone down, they have no intention of lowering prices--they stated prices have been too low for too long. My employer had the best year ever in 2021 (90 y.o. co) and on track for the 2nd best in 2022. 2023 is seeing a slowdown so why lower prices? Many co's have experienced this. Because labor is yet another market, whether or not employees see this in the compensation is quite another story (hint: wages aren't keeping up with inflation) :ROFLMAO:

My sister in law bought a new Mitsubishi Outlander for a couple thousand under MSRP. With increasing interest rates these crazy prices will not continue. As others have stated it's all about supply and demand. Plenty of brand new cars and trucks in my area under MSRP.

I was let down by this realization. I rode motorcycles for a year and thought it would be fantastic savings, but the tire cost alone was awful. Tires only getting 6,000 miles per set and the more frequent engine maintenance made it a losing battle. A cheap Toyota Corolla is better financially than a motorcycle.
What kind of garbage tires are people buying? I can get 15k+ easy out of my rear and quite a bit more from the front. I've had my bike for almost 10 years now and the engine has needed zero maintenance outside of oil changes and a starter that went bad a few years back (cheap).

I'm not saying everyone go buy a bike, nor do I ride because I'm trying to save money (although with fuel savings I still probably do save after all costs are added up in a year) but I do like how it keeps miles off the car in the summer.

What kind of garbage tires are people buying? I can get 15k+ easy out of my rear and quite a bit more from the front. I've had my bike for almost 10 years now and the engine has needed zero maintenance outside of oil changes and a starter that went bad a few years back (cheap).

I'm not saying everyone go buy a bike, nor do I ride because I'm trying to save money (although with fuel savings I still probably do save after all costs are added up in a year) but I do like how it keeps miles off the car in the summer.
There are a lot of factors with bikes and tire wear.

-Suspension design
-Bike weight
-Rider weight
-Riding style
-Roads (highway vs. curvy mountain roads)
-Tire quality

Back