31% of new cars sold for above sticker price last month. These 10 models have the biggest premiums

I find it hard to believe that only 31% of new cars sold above MSRP. Does that mean 69% of new cars are being sold at or under MSRP?

Look at the list and the MSRP numbers.

No one is paying markup on a Toyota Corolla. What do you think they sell more of, a $25k Corolla or a $100k Taycan?

I don't know the specifics of sales numbers, but I would not be shocked to see that for every Taycan sold 10 people buy a Corolla (or similar). Actually I would be surprised if it was that low lol

So yeah I don't find it hard to believe at all.

People who pay cash don’t fall for this stuff.

The people who borrow are the ones driving this because they care about payment not the price paid. It was really bad last year because interest rates were low and easy to bump payment and go further above MSRP.

I paid MSRP + half of the $699 "processing fee" for my new Caddy. I didn't like it, but they can sell it to someone else for instead of me. I sold my 2018 Mustang GT myself for a good price so I guess it's relative.

I’m surprised motorcycles haven’t gotten more popular since the vehicle shortage
Harleys also hold value like crazy - a friend bought a 2007 FXDR Dyna for $13K. A Japanese crouchrocket sells for a fraction of that. The Motor Company doesn’t make money off bikes - there’s more people buying clothes at the Harley dealer than bikes.

Harleys also hold value like crazy - a friend bought a 2007 FXDR Dyna for $13K. A Japanese crouchrocket sells for a fraction of that. The Motor Company doesn’t make money off bikes - there’s more people buying clothes at the Harley dealer than bikes.
Harley will likely hold value as the production dwindles down as there is little interest in brand from young generation and even middle aged.

Look at the list and the MSRP numbers.

No one is paying markup on a Toyota Corolla. What do you think they sell more of, a $25k Corolla or a $100k Taycan?

I don't know the specifics of sales numbers, but I would not be shocked to see that for every Taycan sold 10 people buy a Corolla (or similar). Actually I would be surprised if it was that low lol

So yeah I don't find it hard to believe at all.
I have actually been looking for a 2023 Corolla XLE in the past month and I am receiving one this Saturday for MSRP. But the thing is I called almost 30-40 of the closest Toyota dealerships to me and I was only able to find 5 in my state of New York selling at MSRP with the help of Markups.org. Most of them were selling Corollas between $500 and $5,000 over MSRP.

And looking at OPs link, it looks like only one model in the US is being sold on average under MSRP which is the Chevy Silverado 1500. And only 3 are being sold on average at MSRP: the Volkswagen Arteon, the Cadillac Lyriq, and the Infiniti QX80. Am I misinterpreting something here?

I was let down by this realization. I rode motorcycles for a year and thought it would be fantastic savings, but the tire cost alone was awful. Tires only getting 6,000 miles per set and the more frequent engine maintenance made it a losing battle. A cheap Toyota Corolla is better financially than a motorcycle.
Well, motorcycles are like cars, some are made for commute and low maintenance costs, some are not and some are in between. You need to choose just like with cars, what you want and be prepared to pay for it if you chose performance.

I find it hard to believe that only 31% of new cars sold above MSRP. Does that mean 69% of new cars are being sold at or under MSRP?
Since MSRP is not the out the door price, I bet it all depends on the amount entered before any add ons, accessories, warranties and taxes are added. So one could technically buy at or below MSRP, but then get hit with the extras, which would not count toward this statistic.

Last edited:
Since MSRP is not the out the door price, I bet it all depends on the amount entered before any add ons, accessories, warranties and taxes are added. So one could technically buy at or below MSRP, but then get hit with the extras, which would not count toward this statistic.
You really don’t have to sign up for all that.
I lowered price of Atlas from $46k to $40,773. Had 15k on it. They had it on a lot for a month as it is 4cyl turbo not V6, and I was going exactly for that. Was negotiating for two weeks.
When I finalized the deal, they tried to sell me 100k maintenance. “Sir, do you really want to change oil on your own or brakes?” YES I DO! Or it is none of your business.
Many people fall for that.

I have actually been looking for a 2023 Corolla XLE in the past month and I am receiving one this Saturday for MSRP. But the thing is I called almost 30-40 of the closest Toyota dealerships to me and I was only able to find 5 in my state of New York selling at MSRP with the help of Markups.org. Most of them were selling Corollas between $500 and $5,000 over MSRP.

Well, the XLE is one of the top models, not the $25k one I was referring to, I mean I would not be surprised to see markup on one of the GR versions but I am eyebrow raised on $5000 mrkup on ANY Corolla. As has been mentioned, I guess there are idiots out there paying it. Outside of a truly limited run vehicle that is special and unique (even then, I paid no markup on my TTRS) I would laugh at any dealer trying to charge markup on a full production vehicle unless they could show me their ACTUAL invoice proving they would not make any money without it. And I would still not pay it but say hey you need to get a better deal, or manufacturer needs to raise their MSRP.

Motorcycles are money pits. The cost per mile far exceeds a passenger vehicle. Tire costs alone approach 6¢ a mile. Insurance if you chose to insure is about that every year. ect ect ect
Tires have gone up too. $300+ for 8K to 12K miles if you are lucky $400 if you have your dealer put them on. EACH!! Riding gear over 1k easy.

My guess on that is that motorcycles, while fun, fun, fun, come nowhere near providing the utility of any car. Weather protection, multiple passengers, the ability to converse, protection from other vehicles, cargo carrying capacity....bumpers on which to place stickers. The list goes on.
It might not pan out as you think. Didn't GM just announce (reported here) that they're closing plants under the guise of line maintenance, to keep the supply down and prices up?

ME?: I just can't wait for the next, "Why all the dealership hate?", thread.
Anecdotal, but GM lots are STACKED with trucks locally. Pricing isn’t moving.

We purchased my wife’s 2021.5 VW just before the insanity. Paid under sticker. Thankfully we accelerated our plans at the time.

My Tacoma is getting long in the tooth, went looking for a replacement a couple weeks ago and “best we can do is 3k over MSRP.”

I’ll wait. It’s a Toyota.

Back