30W ND motor oil observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading my Dillon 550 and 650 reloading press manuals it says to use 30W oil to lubricate the ram and pivot points. It also warns against using penetrating oils (which I had been using before reading the manual, duh). The manual did not specify to use detergent or non detergent oil. So I had an old bottle of 30W Non Detergent motor oil so I used that to oil the ram and pivot points. What I soon observed is that the oil remained in place on the ram where other oils would get scraped off in a few dozen strokes of the presses. When I came back weeks later the rams were clean, rust free and still visibly and adequately coated with oil. When using other oils, the oil would turn black on the ram but the 30W remained super clean.

This got me thinking that I should try this same oil on my pistols. Seems I've used about every popular gun oil on the market. I have an Atlas Titan pistol that has some sort of black coating on the exterior of the barrel. What ever GUN oil I put on the barrel, it beads up like water on a waxed surface and then is quickly scraped off in a few cycles of the slide. I used the 30W ND motor oil and to my amazement, no beading up and it stays in place even after several hundred rounds. It doesn't get scraped off the barrel like the gun oils do?

FWIW, I've used the following gun oils: Lucas, Slip 2000, Weapon Shield, Ed's Red, Mobil 1, Rem Oil, Wilson Ultra, Stihl 2 cycle oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, and a host of others.

So, oil experts, what's the deal? Why does this ND 30W seem to stay in place so amazing well and the gun oils are gone?

Last edited:
Straight mineral oils are remarkably good at performing certain tasks.

Some people complain that the "Full Synthetic Oil" they are buying isn't 100% synthetic.... maybe there's a very good reason for that.

I suspect the "GUN" oil that beaded up has very, very low polarity

Best I remember , motor oil + STP is recommended on my Lee press . Ir would have been a detergent oil . Do not think I have any ND oil .

I have used ATF ( tranny fluid ) , synthetic , conventional engine oil , 3M oil and gun oil on guns . Gust guessing , but I think the lower viscosity oil is better in winters and higher viscosity oil is better in summer .

M1 Garands and M1A / M14 call for grease on high speed moving parts and gun oil on the rest of the metal . Boiled linseed oil on the wood .

A $4000 pistol?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by bubbatime
A $4000 pistol?
crazy2.gif

. The base model is $4,000. But some people have more discretionary dollars than others. I think Holland and Holland is still in business. They have a several shotguns in their NYC store for $199,900.

Last edited:
I wonder if 30 weight non detergent oil would make a good vehicle rust proofer? You could thin it with mineral spirits or kerosene so you could spray it, or, apply it straight with an old paint brush. It may be the cheapest effective rust proofer for road salt and brine areas.

I think I will experiment a little ................................

Originally Posted by Oldtom
I wonder if 30 weight non detergent oil would make a good vehicle rust proofer? You could thin it with mineral spirits or kerosene so you could spray it, or, apply it straight with an old paint brush. It may be the cheapest effective rust proofer for road salt and brine areas.

I think I will experiment a little ................................

Don't really live in a high salt/brine area but my father in law used to spray the frame and undercarriage of his trucks, tractors and lawn mower decks with used motor oil, thinned with diesel fuel. He still has a mid 70's GMC 4wd truck with a frame that is nearly as black and rust free as the day it was delivered.

Originally Posted by gman2304
A $4000 pistol?
crazy2.gif

The base model is $4,000. But some people have more discretionary dollars than others.....

I read and reread everything above this. Where is a $4K pistol mentioned?

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by gman2304
A $4000 pistol?
crazy2.gif

The base model is $4,000. But some people have more discretionary dollars than others.....

I read and reread everything above this. Where is a $4K pistol mentioned?

Google Atlas Gunworks. The OP mentioned he had a Atlas Titan pistol. The Titan 9,40 and 45 acp pricing begins at $3,900 for a single stack and rises from there depending on the options you choose. Atlas builds hand made match grade pistols, hence the discretionary dollars statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back