30KW propane generator oil

I have a 30KW Kohler built gen with a Ford straight six industrial motor. What's best for these things? Propane make a difference? My service guy uses 5w30 NAPA dino oil. I'll do my own from here on out. Can get to just below zero where I am occasionally in the winter. I'm think a 5w-30 synthetic but would love to hear from the experts.

Those engines were indestructible in trucks. Carbs running rich and washing cylinders. Pre ignition, overheating etc and they still ran.

I think anything oily will work well. Especially with a clean burning fuel like propane.

I agree with kschachn. Some CNG,LPG,and LNG engines require low ash oils and it seems they are mostly available in only 30wt., 40wt., and 15w40wt.. I have a workplace 17kw Kohler with 4 cyl. Ford engine on natural gas and I could not find any recommendation to use low ash oil. I spoke with Kohler techs., read the manual, etc.. I run 10W30 dino oil and my unit has a coolant engine heater. Mine is a standby generator and only runs during the weekly half hour exercise.

Last edited:
I have a 30KW Kohler built gen with a Ford straight six industrial motor. What's best for these things? Propane make a difference? My service guy uses 5w30 NAPA dino oil. I'll do my own from here on out. Can get to just below zero where I am occasionally in the winter. I'm think a 5w-30 synthetic but would love to hear from the experts.
Where is the generator located and its operating temps. We have a generator in the basement of our middle school similar to what you mention, we run 15w40

Northern Idaho. Older unit probably 90's. Low hours. Runs and works great. The generator is in it's own covered area but outside and unheated. Battery maintainer keeps it charged up. I live rural and can have fairly long power outages. wind storm this year had us down 2.5 days but others for much longer you never know!

Again, what does the manufacturer recommend? It seems like this information is always missing from these questions and asking for it gets ignored.

No clue since it came with no paperwork.

I have purchased a pretty good supply of Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 for 12.35 a gallon. I think that'll work well. Opinions?

That T6 will work great. 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, 0w40... it will all work well in the Ford six. Some weights will crank over easier in really cold weather, but again, it's a tough old school engine that's not picky about oil.

5-30w synth will be fine. My little Generac 10k twin needs 0-30w so it cranks easier at -30f. So did my Craftsman 5500w portable at those temps. . With 5-30w in Craftsman at 0f you couldn't spin it over fast enough or keep it on the floor to start it by yourself. With 0-30w big difference, no issues.
Big 6 should be just fine with the 5-30w, never had a problem with Econolines cranking at cold temps. .

The company I used to worked for used Delo straight 30 in its fleet and all its clients forklifts that were propane powered.[ This was in the San Francisco bay area] The engine will die from non use and neglect before the use of any quality oil differences. Temps at cold starts? It there a warming device for the engine?

Back